Core Values in Action
"However beautiful the strategy, you should sometimes look at the results." -Winston Churchill
"At Freeborn, that’s how we look at litigating matters. Strategy is critical and creativity in those strategies is what makes us great lawyers. But, even the greatest strategy in the world is useless if it doesn’t reflect our clients’ goals and aspirations. By making your focus our focus, we help litigation be more of a reflection of your business goals."
David Becker is a Partner in the Litigation and Intellectual Property Practice Groups.
David maintains a diverse litigation practice handling complex commercial matters ranging from patent infringement to employment discrimination, securities fraud, common law fraud, contract disputes, antitrust, banking, bankruptcy, insurance coverage, product liability and real estate disputes.
In those matters, David has obtained significant trial experience before juries, judges and arbitrators and has represented clients in federal courts, state courts and before government agencies including courts in Illinois, California, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin and the International Trade Commission.
In his Intellectual Property Litigation Practice, David has Litigated numerous technologies, including carburetors for automobile engines, windshield wiper blades, computer controlled valve operating machines, data capture systems, client-server computer systems, multitasking operating systems for computers, handheld computers, digital cameras and imagers, laser scanners, optical character recognition techniques, power management systems for hand-held computers, RFID systems and devices, wireless communication systems utilizing “Wi-Fi” (IEEE 802.11) standards and artificial fireplaces. He has extensive experience litigating Markman issues, summary judgments and other pre- and post-trial proceedings. Outside of the patent realm, he has tried to verdict several complex commercial matters involving securities fraud, contract disputes, product liability and real estate disputes.
- For a large national bank, prosecuted a claim against a software vendor for fraud in the sale and delivery of a software product leading to a $3.4 million recovery of licensing fees and other costs.
- Represented intellectual property owners in proceedings before the International Trade Commission.
- Served as second chair in the jury trial of claims for negligence and strict liability. Prepared and presented the client’s claim for damages resulting in a favorable $8M judgment – the full amount sought.
- Defended a foreign vodka manufacturing company in a trademark infringement claim resulting in settlement permitting clients to continue use of accused name.
- Co-lead counsel for a private equity client in the 13-day jury trial of its securities fraud claim, resulting in $5 million recovery for our client.
- Oversaw national product liability for a national manufacturer of bikes and fitness equipment.
- Represents a client in litigation of false advertising claims against a competitor and defending against patent-infringement claims relating to windshield wiper blades.
- Successfully defended owner of an NHRA Drag Racing team in suit by competing team owner.
- Represented home builders and commercial real estate developers in defense of foreclosure actions brought by banks seeking to obtain mortgaged property and collect on personal guaranties.
- Represented a publicly traded maker of automatic identification and data capture equipment through nationwide, multi-jurisdictional litigation against one of its largest competitors, securing favorable settlements in all matters.
- Represents a client in litigation to enforce patent rights relating to an extensive portfolio of radio-frequency identification (“RFID”) patents.
- Represented a client in litigation enforcing a patent portfolio covering the design and use of handheld computer devices.
Illinois Super Lawyers – Rising Stars - 2010
Benchmark Litigation - Future Star - 2010 and 2012
- American Bar Association, Co-Vice Chair (Newsletter), Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Business Litigation Committee
- Co-presenter, "You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone," ALM Webinar (2013).