Core Values in Action
"However beautiful the strategy, you should sometimes look at the results." -Winston Churchill
"At Freeborn, that’s how we look at litigating matters. Strategy is critical and creativity in those strategies is what makes us great lawyers. But, even the greatest strategy in the world is useless if it doesn’t reflect our clients’ goals and aspirations. By making your focus our focus, we help litigation be more of a reflection of your business goals."
David Becker is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group.
David maintains a diverse litigation practice handling complex commercial matters ranging from patent infringement enforcement and defense to employment discrimination claims, trade secret disputes, enforcement and avoidance of non-competition agreements, fiduciary duty claims, securities fraud actions, common law fraud claims, contract disputes, foreclosure proceedings, bankruptcy-related adversary proceedings, insurance coverage disputes, product liability litigation and real estate disputes.
In those matters, David has obtained significant trial experience before juries, judges and arbitrators and has represented clients in federal courts, state courts and before government agencies including courts in Illinois, California, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin and the International Trade Commission.
- Lead trial counsel in ADEA collective action litigation for a global manufacturer resulting in entry of summary judgment on all claims of age discrimination.
- Second-chair trial counsel in patent infringement action before the International Trade Commission resulting in favorable settlement for supplier of automotive parts.
- Second-chair trial counsel in jury trial of claims for negligence and strict liability. Prepared and presented the client’s claim for damages resulting in a favorable $8 million judgment – the full amount sought.
- Member of trial team for a private equity client in the 13-day jury trial of its securities fraud claim, resulting in $5 million recovery for our client.
- Represents clients in age discrimination class action matters relating to use of temporary contract workers.
- Represented multinational consulting client in enforcement of non-competition agreements resulting in departing employee ceasing competition for duration of non-compete and payments of cash settlements.
- For a large national bank, prosecuted a claim against a software vendor for fraud in the sale and delivery of a software product leading to a $3.4 million recovery of licensing fees and other costs.
- Represented intellectual property owners in proceedings before the International Trade Commission.
- Defended a foreign vodka manufacturing company in a trademark infringement claim resulting in settlement permitting clients to continue use of accused name.
- Oversaw national product liability for a national manufacturer of bikes and fitness equipment.
- Represented client in litigation of false advertising claims against a competitor and defending against patent-infringement claims relating to windshield wiper blades.
- Defended owner of an NHRA Drag Racing team against hostile takeover suit by competing team owner.
- Represented home builders and commercial real estate developers in defense of foreclosure actions brought by banks seeking to obtain mortgaged property and collect on personal guaranties.
- Represented a publicly traded maker of automatic identification and data capture equipment through nationwide, multi-jurisdictional litigation against one of its largest competitors, securing favorable settlements in all matters.
- Represented a client in litigation to enforce patent rights relating to an extensive portfolio of radio-frequency identification (“RFID”) patents.
- Represented a client in litigation enforcing a patent portfolio covering the design and use of handheld computer devices.
- Illinois Super Lawyers – Rising Stars - (cited in multiple years)
- Benchmark Litigation – Future Stars - 2010 and 2012
- Chairman (2016-2017), Corporate Counsel Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Chair-Elect (2016-2017), Intellectual Property Law Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Vice Chairman (2012-present), Business Litigation Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Co-author, "Recent Developments in Business Litigation," ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal (2014 and 2015).
- Quoted in "Apple, Google, Intel, Adobe Anti-Poaching Settlement Gets June Hearing," eWeek.com (May 28, 2014).
- Co-presenter, "Hot Topics in Commercial Litigation: Amended Discovery Rules, Cyber-Litigation, and Arbitration Provisions," Freeborn & Peters CLE Forum, Chicago, IL (August 2016).
- Co-presenter, "The Ostrich Syndrome: You Can't Avoid Intellectual Property Issues in Today's World," ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Section, ABA Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL (August 2015).
- Co-presenter, "You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone," ALM Webinar (2013).