Alex de Witt is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group.
Alex serves as trial and appellate counsel in civil cases pending in federal and state courts, representing individuals, professionals, businesses and firms. His areas of focus include insurance coverage litigation, insurance defense, extra-contractual insurance claims, arson and insurance fraud, personal injury defense, general tort litigation, construction litigation, products liability, premises liability, business disputes, consumer law and complex commercial and class action litigation.
Alex has extensive experience advising and representing insurance companies, agents and brokers in a variety of insurance cases, including commercial property and casualty, general liability insurance, homeowners insurance, motor vehicle liability insurance, uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance, medical expense benefits coverage, arson and fraud investigations, insurance coverage disputes, bad faith litigation, and negligence and malpractice claims against insurance professionals, agents and brokers.
- "AV® Preeminent™" under the Martindale-Hubbell® Rating System - highest recognition
- Virginia Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - 2011, 2012, 2013
- Virginia State Bar (Member, Third District Disciplinary Committee, Section II, 2013 - Present; Chair, 2015-2016)
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (Vice Chair, Policy Coverage Section, 2017-18; Chair, Policy Coverage Section, 2018-19)
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Author, "Expert Discovery Revisited: Amended Rule 26 in Action," Side Bar (Federal Litigation Section of the Federal Bar Association) Spring, 2011.
- "Bankruptcy and Divorce: Dischargeability of Support and Property-Related Obligations," 50 Virginia Lawyer 12 (Virginia State Bar) February, 2011.
- "Classification, Valuation and Division of Stock Options," 2002 Family Law Update § 6 (Aspen Law & Business 2001).
- Co-author, "Enforcement and Contempt Proceedings," Virginia State Bar/Virginia CLE 20th Annual Family Law Seminar, October, 2001.
- Presenter, “Preservation and Spoliation of Evidence in Fire Investigations under NFPA 921 and Virginia Law”, Office of the Fairfax County Fire Marshal, (September 6, 2018).