Core Values in Action
"At Freeborn & Peters, IP and advertising ace Andrew Goldstein "provides sound, reasonable advice - he is definitely a top attorney and someone clients trust"." WTR 100 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
Andy Goldstein is a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group.
Andy focuses his practice in the area of Intellectual Property and Information Technology. He has extensive experience in the areas of intellectual property law, including trademark, trade dress and copyright law; internet, website, cloud computing, technology, outsourcing and computer law in general; advertising, marketing, and promotion law; and entertainment law, including video production, theater and dance-related matters.
The Chambers-USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers, calls Andy a “business law expert,” and adds that "He is smart and versatile, with broad expertise and an extremely fast turnaround time." To view the award, click here.
Andy has over thirty years of experience counseling clients in the areas of intellectual property and information technology law and he has handled matters including: representing a consortium of Big Ten and other major university libraries in connection with the "Google Books" copyright case; negotiating landmark deals, such as telecommunications outsourcing contracts for AT&T and first-time software licenses with IBM; representing a major university at the dawn of the World Wide Web, when developers left the University to form a company offering the first web browser; assisting clients in developing website terms and conditions and privacy policies; and, representing one of the leading legal and accounting information publishers in connection with cases involving the unauthorized downloading of its proprietary online database and copying of the design of its new online customer interface application.
- Best Lawyers® - Copyright Lawyer of the Year - Chicago, 2015
- Thomas R. Leavens Award from Lawyers for the Creative Arts for lifetime contributions to law and the arts in Chicago
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Entertainment Law - 2017 (cited in multiple years)
- Chambers-USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Media and Entertainment Law – 2016 (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Super Lawyers - 2015 (cited in multiple years)
- Leading Lawyers - Advertising & Media; Arts, Entertainment & Sports Law; Computer & Technology Law; and, Intellectual Property Law
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell - 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Technology
- Chicago's Best Lawyers - Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law - 2013
- Who’s Who Legal: Illinois - 2009 and 2008
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Outstanding Volunteer Service Award (Inaugural Award)
- Publicity Club of Chicago - Distinguished Service Award (cited in multiple years)
- "AV® Preeminent™" under the Martindale Hubbell® Rating System - Highest possible rating
- Listed in WTR 100 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- Board of Directors, International Trademark Association (INTA) (1994-1995); Former Chair, U.S. Legislation Committee
- Board of Directors, Illinois Technology Association (ITA)
- Former Chair, Chicago Bar Association’s Patent, Trademark and Copyright Committee
- General Counsel, Publicity Club of Chicago
- "Technology: Navigating deemed export rules," InsideCounsel, July 2013.
- "In-house Counsel Must Understand the Implications of Viral Media," InsideCounsel, July, 2013.
- “Technology: Click here to accept,” InsideCounsel, May 10, 2013.
- "Broadcasters Strike Out Again In Aereo Ruling," Media & Entertainment, Intellectual Property, Appellate and New York Law360 newsletters, April 5, 2013.
- "Legal Issues in the Cloud," The Corporate Counselor, December 2011.
- "Legal Issues in the Cloud: Exploring Business Continuity, Liability and SLA-related Issues," Computer Technology Review, November 14, 2011.
- "Documentary and Noncommercial Filmmakers Can Now Bypass Copy Protection Devices to Use Short Clips of Copyrighted Motion Pictures," Screen Magazine, March 2011.
- "PR Firm Held Liable for iTunes Product Reviews," O'Dwyer's Communications & News Media, November 2010.
Andy Goldstein Discusses .Sucks Domains with Jonathan Brandmeier