Core Values in Action
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi
"As a litigator and trial lawyer, I believe the Firm's values – Integrity, Caring, Effectiveness, Teamwork and Commitment – help create a better future for our clients."
Tony Carballo is a Partner in the Firm's Litigation Practice Group and is Co-Leader of the Commercial Litigation Team.
Tony concentrates his practice in complex civil and commercial disputes before trial and appellate courts and arbitration panels throughout the country.
With more than 30 years of experience, Tony is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer, having tried hundreds of cases before judges and juries and represented clients in appeals in state and federal courts. His litigation experience covers areas involving breach of contract, fraud and other business torts, breach of fiduciary duty, employment litigation, unfair competition, defamation, intellectual property, class action litigation, real estate and construction litigation, professional malpractice, transportation litigation, environmental litigation, insurance coverage litigation and white collar criminal defense. He has handled hundreds of multi-million dollar litigation matters and has tried numerous jury trials to verdict.
Tony also has arbitrated and mediated many cases and has extensive experience in corporate investigations, corporate counseling and risk management. In addition, he has represented clients in administrative proceedings and in appeals before state and federal appellate courts.
Before joining the Firm, Tony served as an Assistant State's Attorney in Cook County, Illinois for eight years. While serving as an Assistant State's Attorney from 1986 to 1994, he prosecuted more than 40 felony jury trials and hundreds of bench trials in the Criminal Prosecutions and Special Prosecutions Bureaus of the State's Attorney's Office. He also presented numerous briefs in the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Courts, and in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Tony has been recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Commercial Litigation.
Tony is a frequent author and speaker on topics relating to complex civil litigation. He is a member of the Firm's Food Industry and Transportation Industry Teams, and has served on the Firm's Professional Review Committee for several years.
- Successfully defended an insurance company and third-party administrator in a multi-claim professional malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract case in federal district court.
- Defeated at the summary-judgment stage claims of a conspiracy to defraud where the plaintiff was seeking damages in excess of half a billion dollars.
- Successfully represented corporations in business litigation matters involving actions for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully represented corporations in class action litigation involving employment law violations, environmental contamination and nuisance and trespass.
- Obtained the dismissal of a sexual harassment lawsuit brought against several supervisory Chicago Police Officers in federal district court.
- Successfully represented a corporation in a federal district court case involving claims of fraud, civil conspiracy, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation with more than $575 million in controversy. We obtained summary judgment in favor of our client on all claims brought by the plaintiff and also obtained a favorable settlement for our client on its counter-claims against the plaintiff and two of its executives for defamation.
- Successfully defended an architect and city planner in a jury trial involving defamation claims and obtained a directed verdict in the client's favor at the close of the plaintiff's case.
- Successfully defended companies on all types of discrimination cases including sex, race, religion, disability and related retaliation claims.
- Successfully represented a Class I railroad company in a multi-million dollar flood damage case brought in federal court against a major utility company.
- Successfully represented a corporation in an internal investigation relating to theft by an employee of the company which resulted in the employee's termination and conviction for felony theft with restitution to our client.
- Successfully represented licensed professionals in administrative proceedings before the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
- Successfully defended corporations on numerous wrongful death and other serious personal injury and property damage claims.
- Chicago Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel