Core Values in Action
“Brian is solution-oriented – always trying to find a way to obtain his client’s desired goals….He works with the client to find the right balance of risk and reward.” - Sara Lee Keller, Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Clear Channel Outdoor, Inc.
Brian Smith is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee and a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group, where he helps companies anticipate, negotiate and implement strategies involved in all types of capital events.
Privately held companies of every size turn to Brian for his creative thought leadership in structuring joint ventures, investment funds, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, among other transactional matters. He advises clients on navigating the waters surrounding the structuring of joint ventures, the formation of investment funds, reorganizations, the acquisition and selling of businesses and transactions involving private equity groups. Additionally, emerging companies frequently turn to Brian to help them achieve a structure that fosters future growth, attracts additional investment and realizes valuable exit strategies.
A technical tax background propelled Brian’s focus on the structuring of companies and their “life events.” He began his career as a CPA for Arthur Andersen and later worked for the Chief Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service, where he represented the interests of the government before the United States Tax Court. At Freeborn, he melds these technical proficiencies with his creativity and experience to help clients develop and execute plans that take into account all of the variables that enter into a company’s capital events –financial, management control, taxation, and personnel to name just a few.
As a member of the Food Industry Team, Brian helps a variety of food clients, including manufacturers, branded consumer product companies and retailers with their transactional matters including structuring, negotiating and executing transactions that represent significant capital events. Recently, he represented a large food manufacturer in negotiating an international joint venture with an ingredient provider.
- Sale of an Oregon-based manufacturer of audio and video equipment to a Dallas-based family office.
- Represented a gourmet sandwich franchise in the sale of a minority interest to a San Francisco-based private equity firm.
- Represented a Chicago-based private equity firm in connection with its financing and acquisition of a leading American gold dealer.
- Represented a Chicago-based private equity firm in connection with the financing and platform acquisition of a leading provider of outsourced camera and camcorder repair service programs.
- Represented the provider of healthcare decision support applications to a NASDAQ-listed provider of health information services, for approximately $60 million cash and stock, resulting from an auction of the company.
- Represented a large food manufacturer in negotiating an international joint venture with a food ingredient provider.
- Assisted an institutional client in structuring and forming a fund to invest $1 billion in U.S. commercial real estate.
- Counseled and negotiated on behalf of a U.S. real estate developer on a $500 million joint venture with a private equity company.
- Structured a joint venture among major distributors of institutional kitchen equipment in creating a national purchasing consortium.
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer – 40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch – 2012