Bruce Engel is a Partner in the Insurance and Reinsurance Practice Group.
Bruce represents insurers and reinsurers worldwide. His practice primarily involves insurance and reinsurance coverage analysis, litigation, and arbitration. He is experienced in addressing issues related to the underwriting, placement, and claims handling of facultative and treaty reinsurance contracts.
Bruce has been involved in a wide range of complex insurance and reinsurance litigation, arbitrations, mediations, and coverage analysis. He represents insurers and reinsurers in coverage and reinsurance disputes to achieve the best business outcome for his clients through litigation, arbitration, and negotiated settlements.
With respect to reinsurance, Bruce routinely represents parties in arbitrations where claims are valued in multimillions of dollars and involve all forms of reinsurance claims and underwriting disputes such as misrepresentation, allocation, late notice, coverage for expenses, and application of follow the fortunes. With respect to his insurance coverage experience, he has been lead counsel for insurers on a national basis in cases involving insurance coverage for environmental, lead paint, products, asbestos, silica, and pharmaceuticals, as well as professional liability matters. Bruce's representation of insurers in these matters includes successful jury trials.
- Illinois Super Lawyers - (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2018 (cited in multiple years)
- Member, ARIAS (AIDA Reinsurance & Insurance Arbitration Society)
- "Current Reinsurance Claims Issues," Editor and Contributing Author, Annual Report.
- "Significant Reinsurance Cases of 2006," Mealey's Litigation Report Reinsurance, April, 2007.
- "Significant Reinsurance Cases of 2005," Mealey's Litigation Report Reinsurance, May, 2006.
- "The Continuing Evolution Of The 'Follow The Fortunes'," Claims Guide, October, 2005.
- "Significant Reinsurance Cases of 2004," Mealey's Litigation Report Reinsurance, April, 2005.
- "Significant Reinsurance Cases of 2003," Mealey's Litigation Report Reinsurance, April, 2004.
- "The Party-Appointed Arbitrator: When Is Neutral Really Neutral?," ABA Committee News - Excess, Surplus Lines & Reinsurance, March, 2004
- "The Party-Appointed Arbitrator: When Is Neutral Really Neutral?," Mealey's Litigation Report: Reinsurance, March, 2004.
- "Reinsurance of Extra Contractual Obligations Enforceable or Not?," RISE, June, 2003.
- "Courtroom Activity: An Examination of Recent Decisions Affecting Reinsurance and the Arbitration Process," Mealey's Fundamentals of Reinsurance Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Boston, MA (March 24, 2006).
- "Recent Reinsurance Coverage Issues," CPCU Society Reinsurance Section Symposium, Philadelphia, PA (May 13, 2004).