Core Values in Action
“Successful negotiation achieves the client’s goals in the context of a long-term strategy while addressing the needs of others and developing lasting relationships.”
David Franek is a Partner in the Real Estate Practice Group.
With more than 30 years in practice, David has extensive experience structuring and negotiating a variety of complex real estate transactions, including all aspects of commercial development, acquisition, and leasing.
David’s practical and business-oriented approach results in lasting relationships and added value to clients. He applies his deep understanding of the retail, restaurant, and healthcare industries to each client’s unique business context. The clients he serves are engaged in retail, restaurant, office, healthcare, and mixed-use projects nationwide. David also represents national development and retail companies in the development, leasing, acquisition, and sale of numerous properties nationwide, including build-to-suit retail projects, lifestyle, and mixed-use shopping centers and office complexes.
David’s work on behalf of his clients includes:
- Multi-state acquisitions and dispositions
- Strategic expansion
- Acquisition of operating companies
- Long-term leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants
- Ground leases
David has extensive experience in negotiating all types of complex retail transactions. He has represented developers, institutional owners, and the retailers themselves. The following is a list of representative tenants with whom he has negotiated deals:
- Specialty Retailers: Aeropostale, Aveda, Bath & Body Works, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Bob’s, Cache, Chico’s, Club Monaco/Ralph Lauren, Cold Stone Creamery, Coldwater Creek, Container Store, CVS, David’s Tea, Dress Barn, Drybar, Eastern Mountain Sports, Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon & Spa, Francesca’s Collection, Free People, Gap, Gymboree, Hallmark, Helzberg Diamonds, Jared Jewelers, J. Jill, Johnston & Murphy, Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, Kay Jewelers, Liz Claiborne, Marshalls, Michael’s, New York & Company, Office Max, Office Depot, Old Navy, PacSun, Petco, Petsmart, Pier One, Ritz Camera, Ross, Sephora, Starbucks, Sterling Jewelers, Talbots, The Limited, The Sports Authority, TJ Maxx, Toys R Us, Ulta Cosmetics & Salon, Victorinox Swiss Army, White House/Black Market, and Williams-Sonoma.
- Large Retailers: Ashley Furniture, Best Buy, BJ’s, Cost Plus World Market, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Home Depot, J.C. Penney, K-Mart, Kohl's, Sears, Sears Great Indoors, Target, and Wal-Mart.
- Restaurants: Biaggi’s, Boston Market, Brinker International, Brio, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, Famous Dave’s, Fleming’s, McDonald’s, Olive Garden, Panera Bread, Pizza Hut, Roy’s, and Wolfgang Puck Express.
- Bookstores: Barnes & Noble and Borders Books.
- Grocery Stores: Big Y, Dominick’s (Safeway), Food Lion, Hannaford Brothers, Jewel, Shaw’s, Sprouts, Stop & Shop, and Whole Foods Market.
- Represented prominent national developer as senior leasing and development counsel responsible for the training and supervision of attorneys and real estate professionals in negotiation skills and strategies.
- Represents a public-private partnership in the leasing of MetraMarket, a European-inspired indoor marketplace located in one of Chicago’s two main commuter railroad stations.
- Represented the City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development in the multi-phase redevelopment of a 573-acre lakefront site formerly used for heavy industry into light industrial, planned residential and retail applications.
- Represents Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano, LLC, in its expansion from a successful regional upscale casual restaurant company into a nationally prominent tenant in lifestyle projects.
- Developed, supervised, and coordinated the leasing program for a national developer of upscale street retail projects.
- Represented a regional natural foods grocery chain in its national expansion.
- Represented national and regional healthcare and hospital systems in the leasing of headquarters offices and ground leases.
Leading Lawyers – Commercial Real Estate
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Moderator, "Hospital Development & The Future of MOB Facilities," 5th Annual Healthcare Real Estate Conference, Chicago, IL (June 23, 2016)
- Presenter, “Inclusion of Internet Sales in Tenant Gross Sales,” ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference (2013)