Core Values in Action
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard . . . is what makes it great." - Jimmie Dugan
Liz Janczak is an Associate in the Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Practice Group.
Liz has represented creditors, trustees and creditors’ committees in a variety of chapter 11 proceedings including section 363 sale transactions, chapter 11 plan confirmation, executory contract litigation, and various chapter 5 avoidance actions. In addition to her restructuring experience, Liz is experienced in chapter 7 liquidation proceedings, representing trustees and creditors in preference actions, relief from the automatic stay, involuntary petitions for bankruptcy relief and appellate proceedings.
In addition to her bankruptcy practice, Liz has represented plaintiffs and defendants in litigation arising under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA) in federal courts across the country and before the USDA.
Before joining Freeborn, Liz was a Staff Law Clerk for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois and a law clerk to the Hon. Bruce W. Black. She also worked as a Law Clerk for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Division of Enforcement.
- Currently representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of PRM Family Holding Company, LLC (“PRM”), a regional grocer located in Arizona with eleven supermarkets located in four Southwestern states. Freeborn & Peters is working with PRM to analyze and vet the numerous PACA claims filed in the case and with PRM, its lenders and other parties-in-interest in developing a sale or restructuring strategy that will maximize estate value for general unsecured creditors.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of broom purveyor Harper Brush Works and successfully facilitated the sale of Harper's operating assets to Cequent Consumer Products during the course of Harper's chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Iowa. For more information, please see: "Freeborn Helps Facilitate Sale of Harper Brush Works Operating Assets".
- Represents the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of R.T. Midwest Holdings, Inc., and assisted in the effective implementation of a sale-leaseback transaction that would allow the debtors to downsize and shed its real estate assets and secured indebtedness. Despite the secured lender’s undersecured position, Freeborn was able to secure a meaningful distribution for general unsecured creditors.
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - Emerging Lawyers - 2017
Chicago Bar Association
Turnaround Management Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
- Co-author, "Litigation Regarding Discharge and Dischargeability," Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation, Thompson Reuters, 2d ed. (2013).
- Co-author, "DIP Financing Agreements: The Effect of Pre-Petition Indemnification Provisions," The Bankruptcy Strategist, Vol. 30, Number 5, March 2013.
- Co-author, "Practical Asset Protection Planning Concepts and Ideas," Estate Planning Magazine, November 2012.