Core Values in Action
“When we founded the Firm many years ago, we wanted to create a unique environment where every one of us could thrive and fulfill our professional potential. The values we created then – Integrity, Caring, Effectiveness, Teamwork and Commitment – have stood the test of time, and that is a remarkable accomplishment.”
Jordan H. Peters is a Partner in the Real Estate Practice Group.
For most of his legal career Jordan has engaged in a commercial real estate practice and has more than 30 years of experience representing parties to real estate transactions. His current practice is focused on acquisitions and dispositions, real estate-based financings and leasing. His clients include developers, lenders, investors and corporate owners and lessees of office, industrial and retail properties. He also has a background in transactions involving specialized real estate interests such as mineral estates and railroad rights of way. Jordan also has participated in and supervised many transactions in which the Firm has acted as issuer’s counsel and underwriter’s counsel in government financings. He also regularly acts as local counsel in large, multi-jurisdictional financings where loan parties or collateral are located in Illinois. He also works closely with lawyers in the Firm’s Corporate Practice representing clients in mergers, acquisitions and dispositions where significant real estate assets are involved.
Jordan is also active in real estate professional societies and in legal education relating to real estate and provides pro bono representation to charitable organizations in the Chicago metropolitan area with needs in areas of real estate, project finance and corporate governance.
- Represented client in a complex transaction involving the purchase of a tract of land adjacent to an airport and negotiating with the airport an access agreement, a ground lease, a road easement, and the sale to the airport of part of the purchased land.
- Provided local counsel assistance for the acquisition, including an analysis of the zoning and other entitlements applicable to the site. In addition, provided an analysis of the vertical subdivision, including the respective rights of the office and also provided assistance with the closing, including an opinion of counsel for the assumed financing.
- Sale of air rights for major Loop location, in which we provided local counsel assistance, including advice concerning the agreement for the sale of air rights, the zoning approvals being sought by the developer and the developer’s petition to vacate part of their former location.
- Development of mixed use commercial, hotel and residential project in downtown Chicago. Represented the developer in acquiring the site and amending an existing declaration of covenants, easements and restrictions to enable development of the project and in connection with the site plan approvals.
- Represented the sellers of a large residential portfolio in negotiating the listing agreement for the properties, negotiating the purchase and sale agreement, closing the sale transaction, and resolving a number of transition/post-closing issues.
- Represented Canada's largest freight railroad and intermodal transportation provider's purchase of a railroad operating in the suburbs surrounding Chicago, from a major integrated steel producer.
- Pro bono Counsel to a church in connection with the assembly of a development site in Chicago and the financing and construction contracts for development of a church building and community center.
- Counsel to the developer of a major Chicago building in connection with a vertical subdivision and $100 million refinancing.
- Local counsel to the borrower parties in a one billion Euro corporate financing in which significant Illinois assets were involved.
- Counsel for the developer of a regional shopping mall in connection with $32 million of first and second lien construction financing.
- Counsel to the owner of a large suburban shopping center in connection with the acquisition from a party operating in bankruptcy of a key parcel required for the redevelopment of the center.
- Leading Lawyers Network Magazine - Top 100 Real Estate-Related Lawyers - 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell legal ability/ethical standards rating (“A-V”) - Highest possible rating
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2017
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Former Board Member and President, Ely Chapter, Lambda Alpha International, an honorary land economics society
- Former Member, Lambda Alpha International Board of Governors
- Board of Trustees, The John Marshall Law School
- Board of Directors, The John Marshall Law School Foundation
- President and Member of the Board of Directors, Chicago Bar Association Condominium Association
- Board Member, Chicago Loop Alliance