Core Values in Action
"My goal is to efficiently and effectively respond to our clients’ business needs. Our Insurance Team’s deep knowledge and positive attitude helps us do that."
Mark is a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group. He has three decades of experience advising the insurance industry on corporate, regulatory and transactional matters. He has represented a wide range of clients in complex, high-profile matters, including insurance holding companies, insurers, producers, agents and brokers, and managing general agents. He also advises non-traditional sellers of insurance on insurance programs, including trade associations, retailers, banks and savings associations, and leasing and finance companies.
Mark has handled significant acquisitions and sales of insurers and brokers and acquisitions and sales of books of insurance business through reinsurance and other arrangements. He has the flexibility to efficiently handle unique and more unusual matters, from establishing a pet insurance program to the establishment of a private health insurance exchange. He also works regularly with issuers of extended warranties and service contracts, captive insurers and risk retention groups/risk purchasing groups, and specialty program managing general agents.
Before joining Freeborn, Mark was a Partner at Dewey & LeBoeuf and before that, a Partner in the Corporate Insurance Group at Locke Lord LLP.
Mark is a member of the Transportation and Insurance and Reinsurance Industry Teams. He focuses on insurance matters, helping companies involved in the transportation sector with regulatory and other issues relating to structuring insurance programs and creating and managing captive insurers.
- Represented national insurance claims management company in outsourcing of managed care functions.
- Advised international oil and energy company on captive insurance matters and related reinsurance agreement.
- Represented privately held industrial company and its principal owner in sale of non-standard automobile insurer to strategic buyer.
- Represented three individual owners of workers compensation specialty insurer to UK based buyer.
- Represented national insurance claims management company in purchase of claims management business and assets from national insurer.
- Advised board of directors of insurance trade association on corporate governance issues, including issues arising in connection with formation of for-profit subsidiary.
- Advised national tax preparation firm on formation and licensing of insurance agency to sell health insurance through Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) exchanges, and on joint venture with on-line insurance agency and technology platform to “white label” insurance sales offerings.
- Counseling Bermuda and other non-U.S. insurers and brokers on doing business in the United States.
- Forming and redomesticating captive insurance companies.
- Responding to government investigations and conducting internal reviews.
- Advising investors and insurance holding companies on insurance regulatory and corporate matters.
- Independent compliance reviews.
- Negotiating mergers and acquisitions of insurance companies and insurance brokers.
- Representing clients in dealing with insolvent insurance companies and insurance liquidators.
- Negotiating sales of books of business and reinsurance agreements.
- Advising insurers on state insurance regulatory matters, and representing clients before state insurance regulators nationwide.
- Chambers-USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory – 2018 (cited in multiple years)
- International Who’s Who of Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Insurance - 2018 (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2018
- The Lawyers Club of Chicago
- Insurance Regulator Education Foundation
- "The Shadow of Federalism," Legacy by The Insurance Insider (Spring 2015).
- "Navigating Ambiguity: Approaches to Dealing with US Regulation of International Insurance," Inside the Minds: International Insurance Law Client Strategies (2015).
- "Insurance Insolvency and Guaranty Funds," Insurance Regulatory Education Foundation (June 2015).
- "Everyday Ethics for Insurance Professionals," Zurich North America Legal and Compliance Staff (May 2015).
- Panel speaker, "Insurance Insider Roundtable," Insurance and Reinsurance Legacy Association, Brighton, England (May 2015).
- Panel speaker, "Insurance and Reinsurance Run-Off," Intermediaries and Reinsurance Underwriting Association (April 2015).
- Panel speaker, "The Latest Developments in Enterprise Rick Management (ERM) and Planning and Preparing for the Own Risk and Solvency Assessment (“ORSA”)," American Conference Institute’s 8th National Forum on Insurance Regulation (February 2014).
- Presenter, "What Have the Elections Wrought?", The Insurance Forum, Chicago, IL (2012).
- Presenter, "Insurance Insolvencies and Insurance Guaranty Funds," Insurance Regulator Education Foundation School, Bloomington, IL (2012).