Mason is Senior Counsel in the Healthcare Practice Group. Mason is a Medicaid subject matter expert, with unique public sector legal and executive management experience. Mason has in-depth knowledge of state and federal processes related to health and human service program administration, audits, information technology, grants and procurement, and legislation and rulemaking.
Prior to joining Freeborn & Peters, Mason was appointed by the Governor to serve as the Executive Director and General Counsel of the Illinois Health Information Exchange Authority (the Authority), leading the State of Illinois’ efforts to support the statewide adoption and use of health information exchange and health information technology. As such, Mason has significant experience navigating the ever-evolving legal, transactional, and policy issues related to health information technology designed to support the care coordination efforts of public Medicaid programs and private Medicaid health plans.
Prior to his work with the Authority, Mason served as Staff Counsel within the Office of Inspector General (OIG) of the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS), the Illinois agency responsible for administering all aspects of the Medicaid program. In that role, Mason helped develop and lead the Inspector General’s initiatives related to Medicaid providers, recipients, and managed care oversight. During his time with the OIG, Mason handled a wide variety of regulatory, audit, transactional, legislative, and operational matters.
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICE PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- Developed a statewide health information exchange and technology program for the State of Illinois, authoring federal planning documents and leading State interaction with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
- Led efforts to obtain federal health information technology funding for the State of Illinois through a federal grant program focusing on advancing State and federal technology interoperability goals, securing an initial award of $2.4 million dollars.
- Represented the State of Illinois’ healthcare technology and exchange interests in the Data and Technology Workgroup for the State Innovation Model, a State of Illinois effort to improve healthcare delivery models.
- Developed a national training curriculum for Medicaid program employees as part of a selected workgroup at the U.S. Department of Justice, Medicaid Integrity Institute.
- Authored numerous provisions of the Illinois Public Aid Code and the Illinois Administrative Code addressing Medicaid provider enrollment and reimbursement; Medicaid recipient services and eligibility; and Medicaid program integrity.
- Presenter, "Medicaid Update from the Office of Inspector General," 10th Annual Elder Bar Short Course, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (November 2014).
- Panelist, "Advanced Special Needs Planning: A Panel Discussion with the Social Security Administration and the State of Illinois," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (September 2013; invited back to present updates in August 2014).
- Presenter, "Regulatory Developments in Medicaid Eligibility," National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (June 2013; invited back to present updates November 2013).
- Co-presenter, "An Overview of the Office of Inspector General’s Medicaid Eligibility Initiatives," Life Services Network Annual Meeting and Exhibition (May 2013; invited back to present updates in May 2014).
- Presenter, "Common Legal Problems in Medicaid Eligibility," State Government Lawyers Committee, Chicago Bar Association (March 2013).