Michael is a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group and a member of the Private Equity and Venture Capital and Emerging Industries Teams. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, corporate governance and various private equity and venture capital transactions. He represents acquirers, sellers, boards of directors and board committees, as well as issuers and investors. Michael regularly advises buyers and sellers in both public and private mergers and acquisitions, asset sales, and other dispositions. He has represented both issuers and underwriters in IPOs and secondary offerings, high-yield and convertible debt financings, and Rule 144A and Reg S offerings. He also has experience with other sophisticated transactions such as recapitalizations, joint ventures, spinoffs, secured and unsecured borrowings, and project financings.
Michael advises public and private companies in a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, healthcare, wireless communications, electronic data transmission, defense, retail, child care, banking, energy, and transportation regarding their financial and transactional needs.
Prior to joining Freeborn, he was a Partner at Steptoe & Johnson LLP.
- Represented a developer and manufacturer of advanced aerospace platforms and autonomous systems in its acquisition by a large aerospace company in a merger transaction.
- Represented a major defense contractor in the negotiation, amendment and restatement of a joint venture agreement with a leading French defense contractor.
- Represented an independent global commodities trader and strategic investor in its acquisition of the power generation assets of a landfill gas electricity generator in a stock purchase transaction.
- Represented a large bus operator as the successful bidder in the acquisition of the bus assets of a competitor in an auction under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented an insurance software solutions provider. in its sale to two private equity buyers through separate merger and asset sale transactions for aggregate consideration of over $300 million.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of a large public defense contractor in its auction and sale in two parts to a French technology group, in a merger transaction and to British intelligence services business in an asset sale transaction for total consideration of $1.6 billion.
- Member, New York State Bar Association