Core Values in Action
"Dear Mike, Jerry Seinfeld said that, in the board-game of life, attorneys are the only ones who have read the instructions on the top of the box. I’m glad someone knew what they were talking about. Thanks for sticking with us through so many false starts." – Client
Michael is a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group and a member of the Private Equity and Venture Capital and Emerging Industries Teams. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, corporate governance, and various private equity and venture capital transactions. Michael regularly advises buyers and sellers in public and private mergers and acquisitions, asset sales, and other dispositions. He has represented issuers and underwriters in IPOs and secondary offerings, high-yield and convertible debt financings, Rule 144A and Reg S offerings and traditional private placements. His broad experience also comprises other sophisticated transactions such as recapitalizations, joint ventures, spinoffs, secured and unsecured borrowings, and project financings.
Michael advises companies in a wide variety of industries, including technology, telecommunications, healthcare, wireless communications, electronic data transmission, blockchain and cryptocurrency, defense, retail, finance, energy, and transportation, regarding their governance and transactional needs.
Prior to joining Freeborn, Michael was a Partner at Steptoe & Johnson LLP.
- Represented a developer and manufacturer of advanced aerospace platforms and autonomous systems in its acquisition by a large aerospace company in a merger transaction.
- Represented a major US defense contractor in the negotiation, amendment and restatement of a joint venture agreement with a leading French defense contractor.
- Represented an independent global commodities trader and strategic investor in its acquisition of the power generation assets of a landfill gas electricity generator in a stock purchase transaction.
- Represented a large bus operator as the winning bidder in the acquisition of the bus assets of a competitor in an auction under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented an insurance software solutions provider in its sale to two private equity buyers through separate merger and asset sale transactions for aggregate consideration of over $300 million.
- Represented the special committee of the board of a large public defense contractor in its auction and sale in two parts - to a French technology group in a merger transaction and to a British intelligence services business in an asset sale - for total consideration of $1.6 billion.
- Member, New York State Bar Association