Core Values in Action
"We say that our vision is to provide a meaningful environment where our people can provide the highest level of service. As Co-Managing Partner, it’s my job to put our vision into practice for every person in our organization. I believe we can do it because I know we are building a better future for our people and for our clients."
Mike Moynihan is the Firm's Co-Managing Partner and a Partner in the Real Estate Practice Group.
As Co-Managing Partner, Mike is responsible for developing and executing the Firm’s overall growth strategy and its various industry initiatives. Before becoming Co-Managing Partner in 2010, he served as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Real Estate Practice Group and Chair of the Recruiting Committee.
Mike maintains an active practice handling a broad range of real estate and financing transactions and has more than 25 years of experience in commercial and industrial real estate development. A significant portion of his practice involves representing developers of large-scale commercial, mixed-use and industrial developments, primarily in major metropolitan areas. His development team responsibilities include operating entity formation and capitalization, project financing, construction contracting, investor relations, project planning and project documentation. Mike also represents clients, on a national basis, in the acquisition, financing and leasing of office properties, retail centers and other real property assets.
He is active in a number of civic and community organizations including Old St. Patrick’s Church in Chicago, Illinois where he serves on the Board of Trustees. Married and the father of two children, Mike also coaches a youth baseball team.
Mike leads the Firm’s Food Industry Team where his focus is on helping clients address facility issues relating to siting, zoning and land use, regulatory compliance, access to transportation and utilities, incentives and financing, construction and environmental impact. He also coordinates the many different legal and other professional services disciplines required to serve the business needs of food industry clients.
As a member of the Transportation Team, Mike helps the Firm’s transportation clients with their facilities projects and related real estate matters and handles a broad range of commercial real estate and financing transactions. His experience includes strategic project planning, project financing, construction contracting, investor relations, project documentation, leasing, acquisition and disposition.
- Represent real estate fund in the acquisition of $57,800,000 commercial office complex in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Represented 30 tenant-in-common investor groups in the chapter 11 cases of DBSI, Inc., formerly one of the nation’s largest sponsors of tenant-in-common investments in commercial, industrial, office and multi-family residential real estate, in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented a developer in connection with the acquisition, financing and leasing of mixed-use development project in Chicago, Illinois consisting of retail space, condominiums, hotels and an underground parking facility.
- Represents clients in connection with the acquisition and repositioning of distressed real estate assets.
- Counsel to the developer of a major Chicago building in connection with a vertical subdivision and $100 million refinancing.
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer – 40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch – 2006
- Martindale-Hubbell legal ability/ethical standards rating (“A-V”) - Highest possible rating
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2017
- Home Builders Association of Greater Chicago (HBAGC)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Chicago Real Estate Council (CREC)
- Windy City - YPO
- Guest Instructor on Land Use Regulation and Entitlements, University of Notre Dame, Mendoza School of Business - Spring 2012 Finance Course on the Real Estate Development Process (February 21, 2012).
- Speaker, "Tenant in Common Workouts: Navigating the Real Estate, Tax, Finance and Securities Issues When Restructuring TIC Transactions," (2009).
- Speaker, "Tenant in Common Workouts: Negotiating the Real Estate, Tax, Finance and Securities Issues When Exiting TIC Deals," Strafford Publishing, Inc. (2009).
- Speaker, "Taxation on Real Estate Conference," Illinois CPA Society (2009).
- Speaker, "Notre Dame Financial Executives Alumni Conference," University of Notre Dame (2007).
- Speaker, "Commercial Leasing: Handling Common Client Issues Conference," National Business Institute (2007).