As a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group, Mike Kornak represents a broad range of clients across various industries. He has extensive experience in complex commercial cases, shareholder disputes, non-competition and trade secret litigation, product liability matters and appeals. His practice is national in scope and he has litigated matters in federal and state courts across the United States.
At Freeborn, Mike also serves as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Recruiting Committee and is a Member of its Professional Review Committee.
- Served as national counsel for a fitness-equipment manufacturer in product-liability lawsuits filed throughout the United States.
- Successfully appealed a lawsuit brought against a large national bank. The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the case should be dismissed, and, in the process, established new law in the Circuit regarding the "citizenship" of a national bank for purposes of diversity jurisdiction.
- Successfully appealed the dismissal of a breach-of-warranty lawsuit filed against a major automobile manufacturer, thereby obtaining court approval of the company’s warranty language.
- Successfully appealed the dismissal of claims brought against a self-service storage facility in a case that involved an issue of first impression under Illinois law
- Obtained dismissal of a derivative lawsuit asserting breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims against the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of a health-care company. The case involved a novel legal question regarding a plaintiff’s "standing" to bring derivative claims.
- Successfully represented a major oil company with respect to antitrust issues and disputes arising out of one of the largest industrial mergers in United States history.
- Successfully defended a major automobile manufacturer in a product-liability suit seeking more than $20 million in damages. The National Law Journal heralded the victory as one of the top defense verdicts of the year.
- Represented a large medical-device company in non-competition, trade-secret, and product-liability disputes across the country.
- Successfully represented a large privately-held food company and its Board of Directors, officers and majority shareholders in two lawsuits involving a former officer and minority shareholder. These suits involved claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder oppression, breach of contract, tortious interference with business expectation, and specific performance of a buy-sell agreement, culminating in a six-week jury trial and three bench trials.
- Successfully moved to dismiss on jurisdictional grounds a breach of contract action brought by a client’s customer in federal court in Minnesota.
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer – 40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch - 2010