Core Values in Action
"Midsize firms need every competitive advantage in order to thrive. Our caring environment, efficient work ethic, collegial atmosphere and commitment to each other are the keys to our clients’ success."
Rich Traub is a Partner and Co-Leader of the Firm's Real Estate Practice Group and is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee (currently serving as Chairman) and Compensation Committee.
Rich focuses his practice on the acquisition, development, construction, leasing, financing and sale of mixed use developments, shopping centers and retail properties throughout the United States on behalf of national, regional and Chicago-based developers. Rich's services include the negotiation of acquisition and disposition agreements, review of financing documents, structuring of construction contracts, preparation of complex retail and office leases, and the formulation of covenants, restrictions and operating agreements.
Rich also has substantial experience in connection with the acquisition, development, leasing and use of office and industrial properties throughout the United States.
Rich also serves as outside general counsel to corporations in connection with their myriad legal needs including intellectual property, employment, contractual matters and other day-to-day legal needs. Rich has successfully implemented a "Counsel Connect" program which strives to address a client's legal matters on a cost effective basis prior to the initiation of legal disputes.
- Represents national and Chicago-based developers in connection with the acquisition, development, construction, leasing, financing and sale of shopping centers and retail properties throughout the United States.
- Represents developers in connection with the development, financing, construction and leasing of mixed-use high rise projects in the Midwest. Rich advises the clients and negotiates mixed-use declarations, retail and office leases, construction and financing, joint venture agreements and plats of separation necessary for the successful development of the projects.
- Represents a publically traded REIT in connection with its redevelopment of shopping centers throughout the United States.
- Represents a national retailer in connection with its retail leasing activities throughout the United States.
- Represents an international defense contractor in connection with its real estate properties in various locations throughout the United States.
- Represents a prominent Chicago developer in connection with the acquisition, construction, leasing and development of big-boxed anchored shopping centers in the Midwest.
- Represents a Fortune 100 automotive supplier in connection with its real estate and leasing activities throughout North America.
- Represents an internationally renowned construction company in connection with the development of mixed-use development projects in the metropolitan Chicago area.
- Represents the franchisees of national restaurant concepts controlling more than 100 properties throughout the Midwest.
- Represents a world renowned university in connection with its material leasing activities in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represents a national developer in connection with its development of a 300,000 square foot retail development in suburban Chicago, Illinois.
- Represents a developer in connection with the refinancing and recapitalization of a 1 million square foot development in Munster, Indiana. The project contains office, industrial, retail, medical office and manufacturing uses.
- Represents a national developer in connection with the lease-up of approximately 350,000 square feet of retail space in a Chicago, Illinois urban lifestyle center.
- Represents property owners and banks in connection with the acquisition and disposition of distressed real estate assets.
- Served as lead counsel in negotiating anchor, national, and regional retail leases for substantial new development on Chicago's south side.
- Represented a restaurant operator/developer in a 24 property sale/leaseback, and simultaneously closed $20,000,000 in loans secured by the assets of entities operating 63 fast food restaurants, including Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken, T.G.I. Friday's, Blaze Pizza, Old Chicago and Long John Silver's.
- Represented the fee owner of a large parcel of land in Marinette, Wisconsin. The parcel was developed into one of the largest hospitals in the Green Bay, Wisconsin metropolitan area. The unique development was a reverse build-to-suit with our client responsible for the acquisition and financing of the building improvements post-construction. Our firm was the lead negotiator of sophisticated ground lease, construction, and financing documents which enabled the hospital to construct a hospital facility, be reimbursed for its construction costs, and lease the property.
- Represented a real estate investment company as its outside counsel in connection with the acquisition and financing of net-leased real estate assets (retail, office, mixed-use, and medical office) in the United States.
- Represented tenant-in-common investor groups in the workout of tenant-in-common investments in commercial, industrial, office and multi-family residential real estate throughout the United States.
- The Legal 500 - Leading Individual - Real Estate and Construction for Illinois
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2018 (cited in multiple years)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Moderator, Chicago State of Office: Investment, Development, Design, and Leasing the Future of the Workplace," Bisnow (February 14, 2019).