Core Values in Action
“Diversity of background and experience, personally and professionally, provides the foundation for innovative legal strategy. That foundation ensures positive results for my clients.”
Salvador Carranza is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group.
Salvador has represented a variety of corporations, businesses and professional firms in matters involving commercial disputes, breaches of fiduciary duty, employment agreement disputes, shareholder and derivative disputes, mass tort product liability defense, and a variety of other commercial litigation matters. He focuses on disputes involving private and public companies, shareholders, executives and directors. He also handles all types of product liability defense matters. Salvador has handled hundreds of product liability cases involving both personal injury and property damage caused by alleged product defects, including in the construction, medical, and retail industries.
Salvador is also an IAPP US-law certified privacy professional and advises businesses on cyber security and data privacy issues.
He is experienced in negotiating cases to successful resolution, handling mediations and arbitrations and has trial experience in both Illinois and Wisconsin.
Salvador also sits on the board of directors for Reading in Motion a non-profit focused on getting every student reading at grade level or above in their early years through an innovative curriculum that is taught in both English and Spanish.
Before joining Freeborn, Salvador was an Associate at Smith Amundsen, where he handled a wide variety of cases, including commercial disputes, and large loss property and bodily injury litigation.
- Represented public company against former company executives in employment dispute surrounding termination for securities violations and breach of fiduciary duties. Successfully obtained verdict on behalf of client in arbitration and dismissal of concurrent Milwaukee County, Wisconsin state court litigation through a motion for summary judgment.
- Represented large international public company in lawsuits related to alleged design, manufacturing and warning defects which caused property damage.
- Most recently I was involved in retail product defects that allegedly caused property damage to homes. The cases were throughout the Midwest and brought at the state and federal level, including partnering with national counsel to defend large consolidated claim actions in the 7th circuit and a certification for an MDL.
- Represented multiple corporations against allegations of fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty by executives and directors. Successfully obtained dismissal of litigation through dispositive motions.
- Represented directors and businesses in shareholder dispute litigation. Successfully obtained dismissal of derivative lawsuits against directors and businesses.
- Represented public software company in multiple actions alleging breach of contract by customer pursuant to alleged defects in installation and use of software.
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Board of Directors for Reading in Motion
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Chicago Bar Association
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Certified in Board of Directors Training for Cyber Enterprise Risk Management
- Member, Infragard
- Honoree of 2017 35 under 35 Chicago Scholars Leader Award
Moderator, "Is Your Law Firm’s Data Safe?," First Chair Awards Conference (August 2017)
Presenter, “Law School for CFOs: Limiting Risk in the Age of an Inevitable Data Breach,” The CFO Leadership Council (April 2016)
Presenter, "A Day in the Life of a Cyber-Attack," The Chicago Bar Association (November 2016)
Presenter, “Cybersecurity and Social Media Issues in Employment Law: Employee Impact on Cybersecurity and Data Privacy”, The Chicago Bar Association (March 2017)