Job Title: Business Development Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Business Development
Freeborn & Peters LLP is a full-service law firm headquartered in Chicago, with offices in New York City, Richmond, VA, Springfield, IL and Tampa, FL. The Business Development Manager serves as a business development and marketing liaison to the following practices: Corporate Practice Group, Government and Regulatory Law Practice Group, Employment/Trade Secrets/Restrictive Covenants Litigation Practice Team, Environment and Energy Practice Team, Emerging Industries Team, and the PE/Portfolio Litigation Practice Team. S/he will work directly with the partners in the groups (across various offices nationwide) to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans, and manage an aligned range of marketing campaigns, programs/events, communications and key account activity.
Projects may include: assisting in the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group; monitoring progress against planned priorities; directory submissions and improving the profile of the practices and developing strategy for participation in or planning of major events. S/he takes an active role in learning about these and other practices and developing the groups’ and the firm’s internal knowledge about its clients and business in order to foster cross-selling.
Strategic Practice and Client Development
- Consults with practice group/team leaders and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers within the assigned practice groups/teams.
- Attends and contributes to practice group/team meetings and planning sessions.
- Tracks and analyzes practice initiatives and how those initiatives impact the group's budget and to provide evaluation of past initiatives to determine if there is sufficient ROI to repeat those initiatives.
- Evaluates the viability and probability of the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts of the practice groups.
- Manages, develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the Practices’ business development "infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Maintains an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, deal lists, etc. are consistent, error-free, and up to date. Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Coordinates with the Librarian and Marketing Team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
- Coach individual attorneys with the greatest potential for new originations – as designated by Practice Group Leaders – to develop and execute individual business development plans.
- Coordinates and delivers associate business development training.
- Coordinates and facilitates internal business development activities.
Proposals and Pitches
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/ RFPs.
- Serves as advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams.
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and report them back to firm.
Other Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice areas’ submissions of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with Marketing Team to hold Freeborn-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Coordinates with Marketing Team on PR opportunities.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the firm in global and industry platforms.
- Coordinates with Marketing Team on thought leadership pieces and leveraging social media platforms.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in law firms and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in financial services industry or other professional services industry
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university, preferably in business or similar field; M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus.
- Proficiency in project management, financial modeling and competitive analysis experience strongly desired
- Proficiency with CRM and webinar databases, and other technologies such as Redwood Analytics, Monitor Suite and other resources; advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, PPT and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities and take initiative to drive projects
- Must be detailed oriented, analytical and results driven
- Superior communication and proofreading skills
- Effective problem solving skills, able to work under pressure and adaptable
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously and effectively with all levels
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to travel to other locations and events as needed
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: Medical/Dental/Vision; Telemedicine; Healthcare Plan concierge service; 401k; Transportation Fringe Benefit Program; Firm paid Short-term Disability policy; Individual Accident & Critical Illness policies; Long-term Care; Pet Insurance; Fitness Membership subsidy; and a Generous Paid Time Off Policy.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Freeborn & Peters LLP
311 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606