Our Intellectual Property and Information Technology Practice is a resource to clients with valuable intellectual property and technology assets. Our services focus on the components required to lawfully develop, perfect, exploit and protect intellectual property and technology throughout the world.
Our IP/IT Practice brings a strategic approach to corporate names, logos, trademarks, copyrights, trade dress and other trade identities. We manage our clients’ trademarks in the United States and in more than 58 countries. We have assisted hundreds of clients in connection with the protection, registration, maintenance and licensing of their trademarks and copyrights in the United States and globally through various international treaties, including the Madrid Protocol and a network of foreign associates. Our clients span a variety of industries -- from technology and Internet companies to "bricks and mortar" companies, from major universities to national assisted living service providers and from international automobile parts manufacturers to major consumer goods companies.
We assist clients in the enforcement and protection of intellectual property before domestic and foreign administrative agencies and tribunals, including:
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
- The U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board;
- The Federal Trade Commission;
- The U.S. Trade Representative;
- The Japan Fair Trade Commission; and
- Various U.S., international and foreign trademark, patent and copyright offices.
We serve as general or special intellectual property counsel for a number of world-recognized software and hardware companies, private and public consumer goods manufacturers and distributors, publishers, technology companies, direct marketing firms, advertising agencies, radio and television stations and entertainment companies. Our Group also includes the author of Intellectual Property and Antitrust Law; officers and former general counsel of several local and international trademark, licensing, advertising, computer and technology associations.
Freeborn has developed a particularly strong reputation as a leader in intellectual property and technology litigation. Over the past two decades, we have litigated numerous trademark, trade secret and trade dress cases; patent infringement and validity issues; and Lanham Act and Copyright Act claims. Our experience and training leads to judicious early valuation of business and legal risks, and reliable estimates of litigation costs. With our own in-house E-Discovery Lab, we can save clients as much as 90% on electronic document processing versus what an outside vendor normally charges.
- We counsel in the development, protection, transfer, acquisition and licensing of various technologies, from traditional "bricks and mortar" industries to software, databases and biotech products; and
- We conduct "IP audits" for our clients to identify unprotected assets and potential threats to their intellectual property; and
Our practice area includes:
- Copyrights, Literary and Artistic Matters
- Trademarks, Trade Dress and Other Trade Identities
- Licensing and Protection of Characters and Rights of Publicity
- Trade Secrets and Non-Competition
- Patent Litigation
- Preparation and Negotiation of Technology Contracts and Licenses
- Advertising, Marketing and Promotion Law