The Director of Human Resources leads all human resource-related activities for the Firm. This includes recruiting, compensation and benefits, compliance, employee relations, and professional development.
- Change agent for Firm-wide cultural initiatives.
- On an ongoing basis, review and modify existing programs and policies to ensure alignment with the company’s culture and direction.
- Act as an advisor to Firm management regarding the level and type of compensation, benefits, and development programs required to attract, retain, motivate, and reward a highly qualified work force.
- Manage the Performance Management process for all staff including annual evaluations, salary administration, promotions, and annual review discussions. Particular emphasis should be placed on continuing to improve and enhance related systems, practices, and processes.
- Participate on the Professional Review Committee, which is a committee of Equity Partners whose responsibility it is to manage the evaluation, promotion, and compensation of all non-equity partner attorneys.
- In coordination with the Benefits Manager, drive the Firm’s benefit program including negotiating the annual renewal, introducing new programs, ensuring cost effective programs, creating and managing the benefit budget, and facilitating the implementation of new programs.
- Oversee HRIS to ensure it is being utilized to the best of its capabilities; make recommendations on reporting and analytics.
- Provide leadership for the managers and supervisors in the Firm’s staff functions.
- Take an active role in external professional organizations to identify best practices, vendors, and other strategic relationships to bring to the Firm.
- Manage the orientation and transition process for all personnel.
- The ideal candidate will be a highly experienced professional in all aspects of human resource management who can effectively build and lead a proactive, well respected function that has positive impact on the organization. The candidate will be a strategic thinker with the ability to develop a clear vision and plan, but also willing to work in a hands-on manner.
- Demonstrated track record of process improvement.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal, communication, and operational skills.
- A minimum of 10-15+ years human resources management experience in successively progressive positions of responsibility.
- Leadership experience in a professional services firm is required; mid-size professional services and/or law firm experience preferred.
- Depth of experience in most functional areas of Human Resources, including but not limited to: recruiting, compensation and benefits, compliance, employee relations, professional development, and diversity.
- Successful history of leading the development and implementation of creative employee programs which resulted in lower turnover rates, increased productivity, and positive morale.
- Experience with HRIS.
- Proactive style, sense of urgency, and ability to take initiative without a lot of direction.
- An ability to inspire confidence and build trusted relationships with people throughout the Firm.
- An engaging, open, authentic personality that naturally encourages interaction with individuals at all levels.
- A proven leader, with excellent persuasion and negotiation skills who has the ability to coach others and genuinely cares for people; an employee advocate, but not to the detriment of the business; able to convey tough business decisions to employees in an empathetic and respectful manner.
- Experience dealing with, and presenting to, top management as part of the business team.
- Experience in Human Resources as a business partner involved in strategic decisions as well as the management of the operation.
- Experience with multiple and/or remote offices.
- Strong academic credentials are a requirement. An undergraduate degree is required; an MBA would be a plus.
- SPHR and/or SHRM – SCP certifications ideal.
Freeborn & Peters LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants who will contribute to the diversity of our practice and our Firm. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, disability, veteran or military status, or any other status or class protected under federal, state or local law.
Freeborn & Peters LLP
311 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606