Freeborn Presents the 2019 Emerging Industries Symposium
July 18, 2019
16 W. Adams Street
Chicago, IL 60606
Hosted by Freeborn's Emerging Industries Team, the 2019 Emerging Industries Symposium will feature the following presentations and panels:
- 1:00 - 1:30 p.m.: Registration and Networking
- 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.: Keynote: “Look Out! Technology Will Rock Our World in the Coming Decades!” presented by Mitchell D. Erickson, Ph.D
- Change is inevitable. In our lifetimes we have seen both marvelous and scary changes. In the 21st century, the rate of change is accelerating both in speed and impact. Smart phones provide a recent perspective and a parable for other tech sectors. This Keynote will examine “Emerging Industries.” To further reflect the needs of society, Mitchell will present a broader view than just our industries. He presents 15 unorthodox categories such as “Moving Electrons and Photons,” which encompasses not only smart phones and other communications but also power and energy, and “Life is Worth Living,” which encompasses personal, family, and societal lives. Widgets are great, but we want to live with smiles on our faces. The emerging technology opportunities and challenges are vast and our solutions will yield a better society with each passing decade!
- 2:30 - 2:45 p.m.: Break
- 2:45 - 3:45 p.m.: Breakout Session 1: “Legal Cannabis: An Industry Issue”
- Cannabis is one of the fastest growing industries in the U.S., but is fraught with numerous legal and regulatory issues that are constantly evolving. This session will offer a multidisciplinary introduction to a number of issues that can arise for cannabis businesses and investors., including discussions on how employers should look at cannabis use by employees; how being a cannabis based business affects banking/financing options, and the types/cost of insurance currently available to cannabis based business, and more. We will also discuss the current and proposed Illinois laws governing legalized cannabis. The intent is that you will walk away from this program with a better understanding of the current status of cannabis law both nationally and in Illinois.
- This panel will feature: Carmen Brace, Founder and Principal, Aclara Research, Michael Gruber, Managing Partner, Salveo Capital, Jamil Taylor, Co-Founder and Partner, Alpine Capital Group and Joseph Wright, Co-Founder, NuSierra Holdings
- 2:45 - 3:45 p.m.: Breakout Session 2: “Real-World Cybersecurity & Data Privacy: Attack Vectors and Incident Responses to Learn From”
- Discussions of data privacy and the concept of needing cyber security are not novel. However, a recurring shortfall continues to be that such discussions often focus on generalities of a theoretical and conceptual nature, rather than real-world considerations and consequences. This presentation will not only address some of the foremost important data inventory and network security issues to consider for best practices, but also go the next step and hear first-hand from incident response computer forensics experts who have been called to triage and investigate cyber-attack-vectors which exploited vulnerabilities resulting from these unaddressed proactive considerations. We will further discuss the over-hanging legal implications on both proactive preparation and incident response which ultimately will inform the business decisions the C-suite faces on either end of the cybersecurity equation.
- This panel will feature: Nate Schnader, Associate Principal, Charles River Associates, Chris Loehr, President, Solis Security and Tony Gawron, Manager, KPMG, U.S. Forensics
- 3:45 - 4:00 p.m.: Break
- 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.: Panel: “Thinking About Insurance to Allocate Risk in Emerging Industries”
- Today’s emerging industries are tomorrow’s rags-to-riches stories. Industries such as driverless cars, drones, internet-of-things, cannabis, blockchain, augmented reality, e-commerce, and others, present fascinating possibilities for the future. They also present many risks such as property damage, business interruption, data breaches, ransom-ware attacks, privacy claims, regulatory compliance failures, and third-party liability, any of which could destroy a company before it even has a chance to succeed. While entrepreneurs, innovators and startups tend to overlook insurance companies as partners to mitigate some of the inherent risks, having the proper insurance coverage may prove critical for a company to survive. This panel will discuss the risks that emerging industries face and how insurance can help with allocating and mitigating some of those risks.
- This panel will feature: Stephanie Snyder, Aon, Michael Carr, Risk Engineer, Coalition, Inc. and Dan Raymond, Cyber & Tech Division, Beazley PLC
- 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.: Networking Reception
Online registration for this event is now closed. Walk ins are welcome.