Andrew L. Goldstein
Phone: (312) 360-6438
Fax: (312) 360-6520
The experience was efficient, enlightening and very impressive. I felt very taken care of as a client and appreciated the specificity with which he approached my matter. My experience with him was ideal.
Andy Goldstein is a Senior Counsel in the Corporate Practice Group and a member of the Consumer Products Industry Team and Emerging Industries Team.
Andy focuses his practice in the area of Intellectual Property and Information Technology. He has extensive experience in the areas of intellectual property law, including trademark, copyright, trade dress; internet, website, cloud computing, technology, outsourcing, IoT and computer law in general; advertising, marketing, and promotion law; and entertainment law, including video production, theater and dance-related matters.
The Chambers-USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers recognizes Andy for his skillful representation of clients in the entertainment and marketing sectors. "His professionalism and care are unmatched," according to one client, while another reports: "He has a wonderful demeanor and always has my best interest and my business' best interest at heart." To view the award, click here.
Andy has over thirty years of experience counseling clients in the areas of intellectual property and information technology law and he has handled matters including: representing a major university at the dawn of the World Wide Web, when developers left the University to form a company offering the first web browser; negotiating landmark deals, such as telecommunications outsourcing contracts for AT&T and first-time software licenses with IBM; representing a consortium of Big Ten and other major university libraries in connection with the "Google Books" copyright case; assisting clients in developing website terms and conditions and privacy policies; and, representing one of the leading legal and accounting information publishers in connection with cases involving the unauthorized downloading of its proprietary online database and copying of the design of its new online customer interface application.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers® - Copyright Lawyer of the Year - Chicago, 2015, 2017, 2019
- Thomas R. Leavens Award from Lawyers for the Creative Arts for lifetime contributions to law and the arts in Chicago
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Entertainment Law and Copyright Law, 2007 - present
- Chambers-USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Media and Entertainment: Transactional – 2022 (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Super Lawyers - 2022 - Intellectual Property, Technology Transactions, Media and Advertising, Entertainment & Sports (cited in multiple years)
- Leading Lawyers - Advertising & Media; Arts, Entertainment & Sports Law; Computer & Technology Law; and, Intellectual Property Law
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell - 2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Technology
- Chicago's Best Lawyers - Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law - 2013
- Who’s Who Legal: Illinois - 2009 and 2008
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Outstanding Volunteer Service Award (Inaugural Award)
- Publicity Club of Chicago - Distinguished Service Award (cited in multiple years)
- "AV® Preeminent™" under the Martindale Hubbell® Rating System - Highest possible rating
- Listed in WTR 100 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2020 (cited in multiple years)
- Mentor, Chicago Connectory
- Board of Directors, International Trademark Association (INTA) (1994-1995); Former Chair, U.S. Legislation Committee; Current Chair, International and Legislative Subcommittee of the Copyright Committee
- Board of Directors, Illinois Technology Association (ITA); Advisory Board Member, ITA IoT Council
- Former Chair, Chicago Bar Association’s Patent, Trademark and Copyright Committee
- General Counsel, Publicity Club of Chicago
- Moderator, "Features of the New Technology Platforms Available for Searching and Clearance," International Trademark Association Leadership Meeting (Nov. 9, 2018).
- Co-Presenter, “The European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Overview” Illinois Technology Association Webinar (April 16, 2018).
- "Copyrights in the Digital Age," Midwest Writers Association (March 5, 2018).
- Moderator, "The Midwest FinTech Revolution," Incubate Illinois Conference (July 12, 2017).
- "Doing Business Online: Are Your Legal Terms Enforceable?" Illinois Technology Association Webinar (Feb. 18, 2016).
- Presenter, "Trademark Cost Management Best Practices," Dennemeyer IP Budget Best Practices Forum (April 13, 2016).
- "Legal Issues in the Craft Beer Industry," Gastro Intellectual Property Symposium (Nov. 10, 2015).
- "Drafting Enforceable Online Agreements," Clear Law Institute Webinar (July 7, 2015).
- Author, Client Alert: USPTO Announces Relief for Postal Service Interruptions due to Hurricane Ida, Freeborn & Peters LLP, October 8, 2021.
- Author, Client Alert: USPTO and USCO Continue Adapting to COVID-19, Freeborn & Peters LLP, May 20, 2021.
- Author, Client Alert: United States Patent and Trademark Office Expedites COVID-Related Trademark Applications, Freeborn & Peters LLP, July 6, 2020.
- Co-Author, Client Alert: U.S. Supreme Court Holds that Willful Trademark Infringement is Not a Prerequisite to the Recovery of Profits (Romag Fasteners, Inc. v. Fossil Group, Inc.), Freeborn & Peters LLP, April 24, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: Livestreaming Without a License: How to Avoid Copyright Infringement Risks, Freeborn & Peters LLP, April 22, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: Patent, Trademark and Copyright Filing Deadlines Extended Under CARES Act, Freeborn & Peters LLP, April 3, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: Sweepstakes Contests and Promotions and COVID-19, Freeborn & Peters LLP, March 25, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: Protecting Intellectual Property During COVID-19, Freeborn & Peters LLP, March 20, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: What the Artificial Intelligence Video Interview Act Means For You, Freeborn & Peters LLP, December 18, 2019.
- Author, Client Alert: US Supreme Court Holds That Copyrights Must Be Registered in Order to Sue for Infringement, Freeborn & Peters LLP, March 5, 2019.
- Author, Client Alert: Illinois Supreme Court Opens Floodgates for Claims under Illinois Biometric Information Protection Act, Freeborn & Peters LLP, February 12, 2019.
- "PR Firms and Attorney-Client Privilege," O'Dwyers PR News, January 9, 2019.
- "Technology: Navigating deemed export rules," InsideCounsel, July 2013.
- "In-house Counsel Must Understand the Implications of Viral Media," InsideCounsel, July, 2013.
- “Technology: Click here to accept,” InsideCounsel, May 10, 2013.
- "Broadcasters Strike Out Again In Aereo Ruling," Media & Entertainment, Intellectual Property, Appellate and New York Law360 newsletters, April 5, 2013.
- "Legal Issues in the Cloud," The Corporate Counselor, December 2011.
- "Legal Issues in the Cloud: Exploring Business Continuity, Liability and SLA-related Issues," Computer Technology Review, November 14, 2011.
- "Documentary and Noncommercial Filmmakers Can Now Bypass Copy Protection Devices to Use Short Clips of Copyrighted Motion Pictures," Screen Magazine, March 2011.
- "PR Firm Held Liable for iTunes Product Reviews," O'Dwyer's Communications & News Media, November 2010.
- First You Dream: The Music of Kander & Ebb (2015), produced by HMS Media
- Full Body Whisper (2013), directed by Ravi Batista
- Andrew Bird: Fever Year (2011), directed by Xan Aranda