As an employment litigator, I am committed to advocating zealously for my clients, and also helping companies create proactive solutions to managing their workforce to avoid litigation.
Erin McAdams Franzblau is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group, focusing her practice on employment litigation and counseling.
Erin helps companies navigate employment laws, and defends employers in a wide range of class, collective, and single-plaintiff disputes before federal and state courts. She regularly counsels and litigates matters brought under state and federal antidiscrimination laws, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act. She is experienced in all stages of litigation, from inception through trial and post-trial appeals. She helps guide employers through sensitive internal investigations involving claims of harassment and discrimination and claims by whistleblowers. Erin also has an active OSHA practice. She regularly represents clients in the trucking, locomotive, and retail industries in investigations, emergency responses, and litigation against state and federal agencies.
Prior to joining Freeborn, Erin practiced employment litigation at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.
Secured summary judgment for trucking company on sex discrimination claim in Michigan state court.
Secured reduction in penalty for OSHA citations involving fatality at Illinois trucking facility.
Secured complete revocation of penalties for OSHA citations involving powered industrial trucks at Ohio trucking facility.
Secured multiple dismissals in wrongful termination litigation in the Eastern District of Michigan, including arguments concerning LMRA preemption.
Secured summary judgment in the Western District of Wisconsin for plan sponsor in ERISA denial of benefits litigation.
Lead associate in Western District of Wisconsin injunction hearing against client's former CEO, resulting in contempt finding against former CEO and in favor of client; later upheld by the Seventh Circuit.
Member of trial team representing private equity firm against former CEO in breach of fiduciary duty action; settled favorably for client on eve of trial.
Member of trial team representing former Illinois state Treasurer in retaliation lawsuit in Cook County, resulting in full defense verdict for client.
Secured summary judgment in the Southern District of Illinois for hospital network in class action alleging improper use of ERISA's "church plan" exemption.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Volunteer of the Year, Legal Assistance Foundation (now Legal Aid Chicago) Children & Families Group, 2018
- Recipient, Ilene and Michael Shaw Younger Lawyer Public Service Grant, 2017
- Federal Bar Association Chicago Chapter Board Member (2015-present)
- Federal Bar Association Chicago Chapter Programming Committee Co-Chair (2018-present)
- Federal Bar Association Younger Lawyers’ Division Co-Chair (2015-2018)
- 7th Cir. Representative, Board of the Young Lawyers’ Division of the National FBA (2018-present)
- Presenter, July 25, 2019 CLE for the Federal Bar Association Chicago Chapter, Influencers, Social Media, and Legal Ethics – Hot Topics and Emerging Trends
- Author, "Auto-deducted meal breaks — can they be done?," HR Dive, July 29, 2019.
- Author, "OSHA Review Commission Upholds General Duty Clause Citation for Workplace Violence Hazard Created by a Third Party," Spring 2019 Powerhouse Points