Hannah Vanderlaan is an Associate in the Litigation Practice Group and a member of the Environment and Energy Law Practice Group. Her practice focuses primarily on environmental-based litigation and regulatory counseling.
Prior to joining Freeborn as an attorney, Hannah was a Law Clerk at the firm in the Environment and Energy Law practice group. In addition to working at Freeborn & Peters, while in law school, Hannah served a Legal Extern at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and The Office of Illinois Attorney General, Environmental Bureau where she gained experience working on a variety of federal and state environmental enforcement actions.
While in law school, Hannah also served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Chicago-Kent Environmental and Energy Law Journal and was actively involved in the Chicago Environmental Law Clinic. In addition, she received the CALI Award for Excellence in Energy Law, Environmental Law & Policy II, Trial Advocacy I, Legal Writing IV, Animal Law, and Public Interest Law & Policy.
- The Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Author, "Client Alert: EPA Announces Plan to Terminate COVID-19 Enforcement Discretion Policy on August 31, 2020," Freeborn & Peters LLP (July 16, 2020).
- Co-Author, "Client Alert: Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than to Ask Permission?: A Survey of COVID-19 Environmental Enforcement Policies," Freeborn & Peters LLP (April 30, 2020).
- Author, "Update: How "Stay at Home" Orders are Impacting the Waste Industry Across the Country," Freeborn & Peters LLP (April 3, 2020).
- Author, "Client Alert: How "Stay at Home" Orders are Impacting the Waste Industry Across the Country," Freeborn & Peters LLP (March 27, 2020).
- Author, "Client Alert: OSHA Recommendations for Municipal Solid Waste, Medical Waste, and Wastewater with Possible COVID-19 Contamination," Freeborn & Peters LLP (March 27, 2020).