Preparation is the be-all of good trial work. Everything else - felicity of expression, improvisational brilliance - is a satellite around the sun. Thorough preparation is that sun.
Jason is a Partner in the Tampa office and member of the Litigation Practice Group.
Jason practices in the area of complex commercial litigation. He has litigated several patent, copyright and trademark infringement claims in federal courts throughout the country. In addition, he also represents clients in various industries with regard to contract, fraud, trade secret and other business disputes.
Prior to joining Freeborn, Jason worked at Phelps Dunbar LLP. He also clerked for a federal judge and served in the U.S. Navy aboard two nuclear powered submarines as a nuclear propulsion plant operator and diver.
Representation of a large plumbing, heating, cooling and electrical company in a copyright infringement dispute; obtained a successful jury verdict that defendants willfully infringed the client's copyright in a proprietary training manual and defeating intervenor's declaratory judgment claims for invalidity and ownership.
Representation of an insurance intermediary in a federal court bench trial; obtained a complete defense verdict defeating claims alleging violations of state and federal statutes and unlawful interference with a business relationship as a result of the placement of force-placed hazard insurance on mortgaged properties being serviced by the client's customer.
Representation of a sun tan lotion manufacturer in a trademark infringement dispute with one if its competitors; obtained a successful jury verdict that found the defendant liable for its profits gained by infringing the client's common law trademark rights.
Representation of a publicly traded silicone manufacturer; obtained a complete jury verdict in a complex U.C.C. matter and obtained a dismissal of all counterclaims seeking seven figure damages.
Representation of a closely held company that creates and licenses photographic images for use in advertising; obtained a favorable settlement for a copyright holder against several defendants that were using copyrighted photographic images without a license.
Representation of a manufacturer of silicone gel liners for prosthetics; worked on a team that obtained an eight figure judgment in a patent infringement lawsuit against a competitor that made products that infringe on that patented technology (silicone-based gel products).
Representation of a large manufacturer regarding an ingress/egress easement it owned at one of its distribution centers; obtained a "mid-trial" favorable settlement after jury selection and after several rulings by the court on matters of law.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Tampa Magazine - Top Lawyers 2016, 2018 & 2019 - Litigation: Intellectual Property
- Super Lawyers - 2021, Intellectual Property Litigation (cited in multiple years)
- Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - 2017-2018
- Florida Trend Magazine - 2019 & 2020 Florida Legal Elite
- Florida Trend Magazine - Legal Elite Up & Comers
- Tampa Bay Business Journal - "Up and Comer" - 2016
- Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter
- Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Executive Committee, Secretary (December 2018-present)
- The Florida Bar Civil Procedure Rules Committee
- Committee Member (2016-present)
- Vice Chair (June 2019-present)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Fellow)
- Stetson University College of Law (Adjunct Professor and Advocacy Coach)
- Defense Research Institute
• Moderator, "Judicial Panel on E-Discovery," Federal Bar Association, December 2013
• Speaker, "Update in eDiscovery Case Law", ESI Roundtable, December 2013
• Presenter, "Basic Federal Practice", Motions for Summary Judgment, Florida Bar, April 2014
• Speaker, "What You Need to Know About Federal Court Practice," Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, July 2015
• Speaker, ACC-WCFL CLE, "Intellectual Property Playbook," July 2015
• Presenter, "Basic Intellectual Property", Florida Bar "Basic Business Law" CLE, May 2016
• Co-Presenter, "Daubert In Florida: The Past, Present, and Future", Sarasota Bench Bar Conference, May 2016
• Speaker, "Motion Practice Tips and Common Mistakes," Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, January 2017
• Co-Presenter, "Daubert or Frye: Where Do We Go From Here," Sarasota Bench Bar Conference, August 2017
• Co-Presenter, "Witness Court Skills," Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, April 2018
- Adjunct Professor, Stetson University College of Law (Electronic Discovery, Federal Pre-Trial Practice, International Sales and Arbitration)
- Co-Author, "The opioid crisis and the products-completed insurance exclusion," Thomson Reuters’ Westlaw Journal Insurance Coverage, (April 6, 2017)
- Author, Navigating Intellectual Property, available at http://www.climbingbusinessjournal. com/navigating-intellectual-property-law/ (July 25, 2016)