Jay Millman is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group.
Jay has been a trial lawyer for over twenty-five years handling cases from inception through trial and appeal in both state and federal courts. He concentrates on civil litigation with an emphasis on defense of personal injury claims, toxic torts, tractor-trailer accident litigation, traumatic brain injury claims, wrongful death, premises claims, product liability, insurance fraud investigation, and insurance litigation. He is also has extensive experience in arbitrations and mediations. Recently Jay was appointed by the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve as a faculty member for the Virginia State Bar Professionalism course which is required for all newly admitted attorneys in the Commonwealth.
Jay is an active member of the John Marshall Inn of Court (American Inns of Court) and is a Past-President of the organization. Jay currently serves on the Judicial Endorsement Committee of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys.
Jay is fluent in American Sign Language (A.S.L.) and much of his pro bono work is on behalf of deaf and hard of hearing clients throughout Virginia. One of Jay's Americans with Disabilities Act cases in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, was instrumental in a major Virginia hospital group establishing procedures to provide sign language interpreters to its hearing impaired patients.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- "AV® Preeminent™" under the Martindale-Hubbell® Rating System - highest recognition
- Richmond Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Richmond Criminal Bar Association
- John Marshall Inn of Court (American Inns of Court)
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- "ADA Issues for the Deaf Community," DSCOR (April 30, 2016).
- "Shakespeare and Law," An analysis of legal issues in THE MERCHANT OF VENICE, Henley Street Theatre, Richmond, VA (October 9, 2011).
- "Persuasive Speaking in the Courtroom," Bench-Bar Conference, Richmond Bar Association, Richmond, VA (October 26, 2009).
- "Civil Trial Practice," Virginia Continuing Legal Education, Tysons Corner, VA (2007).
- "Use and Misuse of Expert Witnesses," American Inns of Court (John Marshall Inn of Court), Richmond, VA (March 13 2007).
- "State and Federal Civil Practice," Bench-Bar Conference, Richmond, VA (October 27, 2005).