My clients’ goals are my goals: When providing strategic legal counsel to my clients, whether in high stakes litigation, data privacy or cybersecurity matters, I make it a priority to understand my clients’ ultimate business goals and objectives so that together, we can strategically navigate both our ‘long game’ as well as our ‘short game’ and with precision, calculate our approach to effectively reach our objectives.
Joel Bruckman is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group and member of the Freeborn Insurance/Reinsurance and the Emerging Industries Teams. His practice includes complex commercial litigation with a focus on trade secrets and restrictive covenant matters. Mr. Bruckman also dedicates a significant portion of his practice to advising clients on data privacy and cybersecurity issues, including proactive preparedness and reactive incident response. As a former Financial Crimes Prosecutor Joel also has extensive experience in white-collar criminal investigations and post-indictment matters involving allegations of Fraud, Theft, Embezzlement, Money Laundering, Wire Fraud and private-sector Honest Services Fraud.
Joel is a regular speaker on cybersecurity issues and best practices. He has presented continuing legal education seminars for attorneys, as well as presented to professionals on behalf of their employers and trade associations. Joel has also led trainings for some of the nation’s largest retailers and law enforcement agencies at all levels of government. Joel is a former Cook County state’s Attorney and a former member of the FBI’s Cyber Crimes Task Force. Joel sits on the Board of Directors and co-Chairs the Junior Board for the Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind. Joel is also Chairman of the North Suburban Bar Association Foundation and a Director for the North Suburban Bar Association. Joel is also the Recording Secretary and Manager on the Board of Managers for the Decalogue Society of Lawyers.
Joel received his J.D. from The John Marshall Law School and his B.S. from Indiana University.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Elmer C. Kissane Public Service Award
- Board of Directors, Chicago Lighthouse Junior Board
- Executive Board Member, Cook County Regional Organized Crime Task Force
- Co-Chair, The Chicago Lighthouse Junior Board
- Board of Managers, Decalogue Society of Lawyers
- Author, "Client Alert: Facilitating Ransomware Ransom Payments? OFAC Issues Guidance to Avoid Enforcement Actions and Penalties," Freeborn & Peters LLP (October 28, 2021).
- Co-Author, "Client Alert: Digital Accessibility and Website ADA Compliance," Freeborn & Peters LLP (July 21, 2021).
- Co-author, "Client Alert: The Data Diet Resolution," Freeborn & Peters LLP (January 22, 2019).