“When you reach the top of the mountain, whatever mountain it is, don’t stand there either admiring the view or looking down on those below. Walk back down the mountain, and help others find their way to the top.” Mom inculcated that guiding principle in me from a young age, and I try to live it every day, both in my professional life and my personal one. It’s about giving back, or paying forward, or both.
Jon is a Partner in the Litigation, Real Estate, and the Environment and Energy Law Practice Groups.
He advises real estate clients (developers, owners, landlords, tenants, managers, lenders) about environmental aspects of transactions. As former CEO of Cirrus Resources Inc. (a company through which he advised both Fortune 100 companies and local entrepreneurs on the structuring of energy, environmental and economic development projects in the formerly Communist region), Jon takes a comprehensive transactional – rather than mere regulatory – approach to environmental issues, bringing value added to his clients; for example, structuring deals to maximize benefits from governmental programs, such as brownfields and Opportunity Zones. Jon co-chairs the NYSBA’s Environmental Business Transactions Committee, and previously chaired the ABA’s Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee. A “Super Lawyer” since 2011, Corporate INTL named him “2017 Environmental Lawyer of the Year – New York.”
Jon also advocates for clients in commercial and environmental litigation matters in both trial and appellate courts. Selected in 2019 to “America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators,” Jon’s courtroom skills were recognized early: during law school, he was named the nation’s “Best Oralist” in the Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition and also served as Articles Editor of the Tulane Journal of Maritime Law. Jon applies those litigation skills to a broad spectrum of matters, from commonplace contractual disputes to complex commercial or environmental ones; even to the esoteric, such as the little known area of “escheatment” (unclaimed property) law, in which Jon argued successfully before the Delaware Supreme Court on four issues of first impression (A.W. Financial Services, S.A. v. Empire Resources Inc., 981 A.2d 1114 (Del. 2009)).
Beyond law, Jon is an avid skier, actor, singer, dancer, puzzler, poker player, and chef. He currently serves as president of the Men’s Club of Temple Beth Israel.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Corporate INTL, “2017 Environmental Lawyer of the Year – New York”
- Super Lawyers - Metro New York Edition, Environmental Law (2011-present)
- Super Lawyers - Business Edition (Construction, Real Estate & Environmental Law), 2013
- "Ones to Watch: Long Island Law," Long Island Business News, November 2011
- Co-Chair, Environmental Business Transactions Committee, NYSBA Section on Environmental and Energy Law
- Chair, Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee, ABA Section on Environment, Energy and Resources
- Co-Chair, Subcommittee on Environmental Litigation, ABA Section on Litigation
- U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, San Diego, CA, October 23, 2019
- The Art of the Brownfield Deal: Why Brown is the New Gold, U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, FL, October 26, 2018
- The Art of the Brownfield Deal, Real Estate Board of New York, New York, NY, October 31, 2017
- Environmental Transactions & Brownfields, International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference, San Antonio, TX, October 27, 2017