Meghan Tepas is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group.
Meghan is passionate about litigation and takes a thoughtful and creative approach to each of her cases. She focuses her practice on commercial contract and employment issues, including those involving breach of non-compete agreements and breach of fiduciary duty claims. She defends employers against allegations of sexual harassment, wrongful termination, and employment discrimination and has extensive experience defending and prosecuting a variety of general breach of contract claims. She also regularly counsels start-ups and small businesses with respect to vendor, customer, and employee contracts.
Outside of work Meghan enjoys golf, reading, and yoga and has started taking French classes.
Successfully defended national corporation against multi-million dollar claw-back action under the Texas Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act.
Drafted, argued, and won multiple motions to dismiss on behalf of client against allegations that client violated the Illinois Constitution.
Investigated on behalf of and counseled client through leadership transition following allegations of sexual harassment.
Successfully defeated multiple motions to dismiss filed against her client in a multi-million dollar breach of trustee action against a regional corporate trustee.
Successfully defended financial institution client against breach of contract lawsuit resulting in dismissal of both the complaint and the appeal.
Successfully pursued and collected monetary judgment on behalf of pro-bono client.
Represented client in five-day private mediation in a contentious breach of fiduciary duty case and secured favorable settlement.
Defended national residential alarm services company in multiple Lanham Act lawsuits involving allegations of unfair competition and false advertising brought by competitor in Federal Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Secured dismissal of complaint alleging breach of a business brokerage contract on behalf of North Carolina company.
Secured dismissal of multi-count lawsuit alleging breach of employment agreement, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and shareholder oppression on behalf of Illinois asset management company, which was affirmed on appeal.
Served as part of the litigation team for a large corporation in a multiple plaintiff, multiple defendant child sexual abuse case.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - 2019 (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - Emerging Lawyers - 2020 (cited in multiple years)
- Co-Presenter, “Commercial Contracts in the Time of COVID-19”, Publicity Club of Chicago Webinar, (April 8, 2020).
- Co-Author, Client Alert: U.S. Treasury and SBA Offer Additional Guidance on “Paycheck Protection Program” (PPP), April 3, 2020.
- Co-Author, Client Alert: CARES Act Creates New $349 Billion SBA Loan Program to Offer Loans to Eligible Small Businesses, April 1, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: Considering Layoffs Due to COVID-19? Keep These Things in Mind, March 23, 2020.
- Author, Client Alert: Commercial Contracts in the Time of Coronavirus: Am I still required to perform?, March 20, 2020.
- Author, Employers' Legal Obligations to Transgender Employees-Upcoming Supreme Court Case to Shed Light on the Law, October 3, 2019
- Author, "Curtailing The Tail of Liability for Dissolved Corporations," Civil Litigation Flashpoints, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, June 2014.
- Author, "What’s in a Name?" Civil Litigation Flashpoints, published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 2013.
- Author, "A Look at Traditional Islam’s General Discord with a Permanent System of Global Cooperation," Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, 2009.