Mike Moynihan is a Partner in the Real Estate Practice Group and Co-Chair of the Recruiting Committee.
Mike maintains an active practice handling a broad range of real estate and financing transactions and has more than 25 years of experience in commercial and industrial real estate development. A significant portion of his practice involves representing developers of large-scale commercial, mixed-use and industrial developments, primarily in major metropolitan areas. His development team responsibilities include operating entity formation and capitalization, project financing, construction contracting, investor relations, project planning and project documentation. Mike also represents clients, on a national basis, in the acquisition, financing and leasing of office properties, retail centers and other real property assets.
Mike served as Co-Managing Partner of the Firm for eight years, his term ended at the end of 2017. Before becoming Co-Managing Partner in 2010, he served as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
He is active in a number of civic and community organizations including Old St. Patrick’s Church in Chicago, Illinois where he serves on the Board of Trustees. Married and the father of two children, Mike also coaches a youth baseball team.
Represent real estate fund in the acquisition of $57,800,000 commercial office complex in Norfolk, Virginia.
Represented 30 tenant-in-common investor groups in the chapter 11 cases of DBSI, Inc., formerly one of the nation’s largest sponsors of tenant-in-common investments in commercial, industrial, office and multi-family residential real estate, in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
Counsel to the developer of a major Chicago building in connection with a vertical subdivision and $100 million refinancing.
Represents clients in connection with the acquisition and repositioning of distressed real estate assets.
Represented a developer in connection with the acquisition, financing and leasing of mixed-use development project in Chicago, Illinois consisting of retail space, condominiums, hotels and an underground parking facility.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® – Real Estate Law, 2023
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer – 40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch – 2006
- Martindale-Hubbell legal ability/ethical standards rating (“A-V”) - Highest possible rating
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2020 (cited in multiple years)
- Midwest Real Estate News - Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame 2016
- Home Builders Association of Greater Chicago (HBAGC)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Chicago Real Estate Council (CREC)
- Windy City - YPO
- Guest Instructor on Land Use Regulation and Entitlements, University of Notre Dame, Mendoza School of Business - Spring 2012 Finance Course on the Real Estate Development Process (February 21, 2012).
- Speaker, "Tenant in Common Workouts: Navigating the Real Estate, Tax, Finance and Securities Issues When Restructuring TIC Transactions," (2009).
- Speaker, "Tenant in Common Workouts: Negotiating the Real Estate, Tax, Finance and Securities Issues When Exiting TIC Deals," Strafford Publishing, Inc. (2009).
- Speaker, "Taxation on Real Estate Conference," Illinois CPA Society (2009).
- Speaker, "Notre Dame Financial Executives Alumni Conference," University of Notre Dame (2007).
- Speaker, "Commercial Leasing: Handling Common Client Issues Conference," National Business Institute (2007).