Neal is aggressive, innovative, tenacious, creative and highly effective in serving his clients with the highest degree of integrity. He is a committed team leader, fostering not only good results, but the betterment of his own team in the process. He’s a very experienced, results-oriented lawyer, and his desire to provide value for money is very strong.
Neal Levin is the Team Leader of the Firm’s Global Fraud, Investigations and Asset Recovery Team and a member of both the Litigation and Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Practice Groups. Neal is also the founder and leader of the Freeborn & Peters Intelligence Unit, which provides intelligence gathering support and analysis for Freeborn clients domestically and internationally.
Often compared to Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction, Neal is most notably summoned when the case "stinks." Known fondly as "The Fraud Guy," he contends with a litany of fraudsters and fraudulent transactions, including those stemming from bankruptcy fraud, occupational fraud, corporate governance fraud, government corruption, insurance fraud, bank fraud, mortgage fraud, asset concealment, so-called asset protection plans, offshore financial centers, bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies, art fraud and related thefts, and, of course, Ponzi schemes. His practice is international in scope and he has appeared in dozens of different tribunals over the course of his 30+ years in the business.
Neal and his team leverage their success through use of progressive intel harvesting as well as an intensive study of the psychology of fraudsters and victims. Drawing on both his many years of experience as well as his B.A. in Psychology from the University of Denver, Neal frequently lectures, writes and is interviewed on the psychopathy and sociopathy of a fraudster and victims as well as on Ponzi schemes, bankruptcy fraud, investigations and recovery practices.
Neal also serves as a Federal and State Equity Receiver in matters involving domestic and international fraud and financial crimes.
Represented plaintiff bankruptcy trustee in an investigation and prosecution of complex claims in connection with multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme resulting in substantial settlements.
Several, multi-jurisdictional recovery matters, clawback matters and fraud investigations including work in Greece, Isle of Man, BVI, Panama, Hong Kong, Switzerland, UK, Jersey, the Middle East, Bangladesh, Ukraine and others.
Comprehensive internal investigation for municipality client relative to alleged corruption by high-ranking government official, including misappropriation of assets, misuse of State and Federal government grants and related fraud leading to criminal prosecution and conviction.
Secured a $4.36 million payment for a US-based client from a Debtor with operations in Dubai, Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. The victory came only 45 days after engagement and the deployment of highly innovative strategies designed to cripple the Debtor.
Act as Receiver over and liquidated Chicago-based law practice where principal was accused of fraud and other crimes.
Represent Receivers and Trustees in Bankruptcy proceedings throughout the U.S.
Represent one of Chicago’s largest banks in a variety of asset recovery actions.
110% recovery for individual client, piercing a complex maze of domestic and international entities managed by the target and the Ponzi scheme related thereto, utilizing TROs, Receivership, Charging Orders and covert infiltration into the target's $4MM residence.
Act as Equity Receiver in various proceedings including the takeover of two law firms following investigations and criminal charges against principals.
Forcing the involuntary bankruptcy, liquidation, and federal criminal investigation of a major real estate developer on behalf of the near largest office property developer and management company in the US, leading to full recovery of amounts due to our client.
Representing a Fortune 500 insurance company in the millions of dollars of fraudulent claims through civil RICO actions, criminal investigations and prosecutions, avoidance of fraudulent transfers, and other post judgment enforcement proceedings.
Various major jury and non-jury awards for recovery of millions of dollars fraudulently transferred, concealed or converted, including sizable awards for punitive damages and attorney fees.
Successfully prosecuting civil fraud claims against an insurance agency on behalf of a leading Chicago finance company resulting in a sizable award of punitive damages.
Serving as interim chairman of a privately held company indicted for fraud, and implementing a corporate compliance program culminating in the successful sale of the assets of the company and the acquisition by a prestigious successor company.
Successfully investigating and resolving the theft of intellectual property by an employee for sale to a competitor linked to an international organized crime cartel.
Working with internal and external auditors of a client to detect fraud and kickbacks to employees in exchange for favorable treatment to preferred vendors of the corporation. Cooperated with federal law enforcement to bring successful prosecution of the offenders.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyers -2015 (cited in multiple years)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers - 2020 (cited in multiple years)
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Full Member, National Association of Federal Equity Receivers
- International Bar Association
- Panelist, American Bankruptcy Institute's Rocky Mountain Bankruptcy Conference, "Preference, Earmarking and Fraudulent Transfer Law – Making Progress Together For Future Bankruptcies," Denver (January 2020).
- Presenter, "What's In Store for the Fraud and Asset Recovery Warrior," C5 Fraud Asset Tracing & Recovery Conference, Miami (October 2019).
- Presenter, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, "Domestic and Foreign Asset Protection Trusts: How to make them and how to break them," Las Vegas, (October 2017).
- Presenter, C5 Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery Conference, "The Latest Anecdotes and War Stories in Private Client Disputes: Dealing with fraud cases in the context of trusts and other private client structures often needs a different approach to ‘mainstream’ fraud litigation," Miami, (September 2017).
- Presenter, ACFE Chicago Chapter, (July 2017).
- Presenter, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, "Domestic and Foreign Asset Protection Trusts: How to make them and how to break them," (February 2017).
- Presenter, C5 Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery Forum, Geneva, Switzerland (March 2016).
- Presenter, ACFE Philadelphia Area Chapter Fraud Conference, (December 2015).
- Presenter, OffshoreAlert Conference London, (November 2015).
- Presenter, C5 Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery Forum, Geneva, Switzerland, (March 2015).
- Presenter, OffshoreAlert Conference London, (November 2014).
- Presenter, C5 Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery Forum, Miami, Florida, (October 2014).
- Presenter, ACFE Central Indiana Chapter Meeting, (September 2014).
- Presenter, ACFE Global Fraud Conference, (June 2014).
- Presenter, Joint Illinois NSPII/ Illinois IASIU Annual Insurance Fraud Conference, (May 2014).
- Presenter, OffshoreAlert Conference Miami, (May 2014).
- Presenter, C5: Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery Forum, Geneva, Switzerland, (March 2014).
- Presenter, SF ACFE Meeting, (January 2014).
- Presenter, ABI 25th Annual Winter Leadership Conference, (December 2013).
- "How the Celebrity Surgeon Sculpted his Prey," LinkedIn - Neal H. Levin (January 16, 2016).
- "Developer Sued Over Condo Deal with Mom," Chicago Real Estate Daily - Crain's Chicago Business - Dennis Rodkin (March 24, 2015).
- "Hey, Hand Over That Sculpture," Crain's Chicago Business - Abraham Tekippe (September 26, 2013).
- "Reading the Playbook of Fraud's Aftermath," Law360 - Neal H. Levin (October 3, 2011).