Robert Stines is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group and a member of the Emerging Industries Team.
Excellence, hard work, and innovation are the defining qualities of Rob's litigation practice representing professionals, and large, as well as small-to-medium size businesses. No matter the size of the client or the type of case, Rob genuinely strives to provide the best, result-oriented service possible. This has been the driving force throughout his journey starting in college as a performing arts major, to his career in the United States Army as a military intelligence analyst, to continuing his sense of service by handling pro bono matters in law school, then graduating magna cum laude in his class, and now his never-ending desire to evolve as the digital-age presents new challenges for his clients.
Through Rob's training and education, he has gained intimate knowledge of the technical aspects of cybersecurity and digital forensics. Because of his experience with digital forensics and the acquisition of electronically stored information, Rob has been assigned as a special master and eDiscovery counsel to assist Courts and parties with navigating complex electronic discovery issues in litigation. To better assist clients with data privacy matters, he earned a certificate as an IAPP US-law privacy professional.
In representing professionals and SMBs, Rob litigates matters that affect companies interacting through the Internet and digital platforms such as cybersecurity, privacy, cyber-insurance, and e-discovery. He has represented companies and professionals who have been sued for cyber-incidents where funds and private data were misappropriated.
A major component of Rob's practice is representing professionals in contract disputes, legal malpractice lawsuits, unfair trade practices, employment agreements, shareholder disputes, and business torts. He has significant experience defending attorneys, insurance agents, and financial advisors in professional malpractice claims. He has also represented executives and key employees in breach of contract, restrictive covenants and equity disputes.
In addition to speaking engagements, Rob have written articles analyzing the evolution of cyber law, cybersecurity, and emerging technologies. He also hosts a cyber law blog at techlawX.com.
When he is not fighting on behalf of his clients, Rob is fighting in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments around the world.
With a reputation for championing innovation and creativity, his goal is to provide 21st century legal service that continuously evolves to keep pace with the ever-changing business landscape.
Attorney for receiver in alleged $170 million Ponzi scheme. Provide counsel and advice related to acquisition of data for various sources, digital forensics, e-Discovery and privacy issues.
Court appointed special master to assist with e-Discovery, digital forensics, data protection and privacy matters in litigation.
Defended law firm involved in cybersecurity incident that resulted in clients making claims against the law firm.
Represented professional in insurance coverage action where insurer denied coverage for cybersecurity incident.
Handled various matters involving cyber related issues, such as hacking, spoofing, social media, online applications, cyber insurance, e-contracts, and e-discovery.
Pursued breach of contract claims on behalf of financial advisory firm with favorable results.
Defended provider of managed care health plans in contract disputes and compensation matters.
Prevailed in numerous insurance agency, agent and broker professional liability actions.
Resolved litigation against major clinical testing laboratory in claims related to breach of contract and unfair trade practices.
Successfully defended numerous law firms and attorneys in legal malpractice actions.
Represented producers and performers related to contract disputes.
Pursued claims on behalf of shareholders related to the formation and subsequent breach of equity agreements.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Tampa Magazine - Top Lawyers 2018 - Professional Malpractice Law: Defendants
- Tampa Bay Business Journal - Up & Comers (2014)
- Florida Super Lawyers - Rising Stars (2014-2019)
- Victor O. Wehle Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Paul Barnard Award for Clinic Excellence
- United States Army Achievement Medal
- United States Army Commendation Medal
- Federal Bar Association
- Board Member, Gasparilla Film Festival
- American Bar Association (Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Committee)
- The Florida Bar Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Panelist, "What Happens After You Give Your Client’s iPhone to a Forensic Investigator?" Federal Bar Association 2021 Annual Meeting and Convention (September 24, 2021).
- Presenter, "Welcome to the Cyber-Age: New Territory for Insurance Professionals," Florida Association of Insurance Agents Convention 2021 (June 17, 2021).
- Panelist, "The Legal and Personal Financial Risks of Cyber Breaches," Workers' Compensation Institute Cybersecurity Forum 2020 (September 16, 2020).
- Panelist, "Managing Risk at the Intersection of Cybersecurity, Data Privacy and Business," American Bar Association's Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Conference (March 6, 2020).
- Panelist, “Issues in Cyber Coverages for Law Firms and Their Clients Alike,” American Bar Association, TIPS Section Conference (May 1, 2019).
- Presenter, "Living in the Cyber-Age: Hackers, Computer Fraud Insurance, and Litigation," Florida Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting (September 15, 2018).
- Panelist, “The Changing Landscape of Professional Liability," Association for Corporate Growth Tampa (May 2, 2018).
- "Client Alert: What to Know About Florida’s Telephone Solicitation Act," Freeborn & Peters LLP (October, 2021).
- "Paper Discovery is Dead (Or Soon To Be)," Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine (May, 2021).
- "Think About Digital Forensics When You Conduct E-Discovery," Today's General Counsel (December 27, 2020).
- "Client Alert: Five Cyber Issues Companies Should Consider in the Midst of COVID-19," Freeborn & Peters LLP (March 23, 2020).
- "Client Alert: Florida Consumer Data Privacy Act: A law that recognizes privacy rights in the information age," Freeborn & Peters LLP (January 23, 2020).
- "Blockchain 101: A Lawyer’s (Brief) Guide," TortSource (Spring 2019).
- "Fla. Lawmakers Propose New Law to Address Companies’ Increasing Use of Biometrics," Daily Business Review (April 1, 2019).
- "What Makes A Cyber Data Breach So Expensive?," Corporate Compliance Insights, (December 18, 2018).
- "Virtual Reality Goes on Trial," Communications of the ACM, (November 29, 2018).
- "‘Privacy’ Doesn’t Equal ‘Security’: The Importance of Knowing the Difference," Corporate Compliance Insights, (November 21, 2018).
- "Professional Liability in Information Technology," IT Business Net, (October 11, 2018).
- "Computer fraud insurance in the cyberage," Thomson Reuters Westlaw Journal Insurance, (July 13, 2018).
- "Cyberclaims and litigation against insurance professionals," Thomson Reuters Westlaw Journal Insurance Coverage, (March 2, 2018).
- "Odd Laws Governing the Military," Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine, (August 2015).