Robert A. Stines
Phone: (813) 488-2928
Fax: (813) 488-2960
Pamela R. Geer
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
Robert Stines is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group and a member of the Emerging Industries Team. He is a trusted advisor in the areas of cybersecurity, privacy, data protection, cyber insurance, e-discovery and emerging technologies.
He counsels clients in a range of industry sectors on privacy and data security compliance, information governance, digital marketing, and emerging technology issues. He conducts risk assessments, drafts and reviews contracts, develops company information policies and analyzes the impact of pending privacy and security laws on company operations. He advises clients on compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act and the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation. In mergers and acquisitions, clients rely on him to assist with privacy and data protection due diligence. He regularly assists clients with cyber-insurance related matters.
Robert also represents clients in a variety of litigation matters including data breach class actions, fraudulent transfers of funds, business email compromise, contract and insurance lawsuits. He has handled every stage of litigation from pre-suit negotiations, discovery, mediation, motion practice, trial and appeal.
Through Robert’s training and education, he has gained intimate knowledge of the technical aspects of cybersecurity, privacy, data protection and digital forensics. Robert has written articles analyzing the evolution of cyber law, cybersecurity, and emerging technologies and authored a chapter in the book, A Practical Guide to Cyber Insurance for Businesses (published by the American Bar Association). He also hosts a cyber law blog at techlawX.com.
With a reputation for championing innovation and creativity, Robert provides 21st-century legal service that continuously evolves to keep pace with the ever-changing business landscape.
Co-lead counsel defending Fortune 200 company in data breach class action in federal court.
Attorney for receiver in alleged $170 million Ponzi scheme. Provide counsel and advice related to acquisition of data for various sources, digital forensics, e-Discovery and privacy issues.
Court appointed special master to assist with e-Discovery, digital forensics, data protection and privacy matters in litigation.
Defended law firm involved in cybersecurity incident that resulted in clients making claims against the law firm.
Represented professional in insurance coverage action where insurer denied coverage for cybersecurity incident.
Handled various matters involving cyber related issues, such as hacking, spoofing, social media, online applications, cyber insurance, e-contracts, and e-discovery.
Pursued breach of contract claims on behalf of financial advisory firm with favorable results.
Defended provider of managed care health plans in contract disputes and compensation matters.
Prevailed in numerous insurance agency, agent and broker professional liability actions.
Resolved litigation against major clinical testing laboratory in claims related to breach of contract and unfair trade practices.
Successfully defended numerous law firms and attorneys in legal malpractice actions.
Represented producers and performers related to contract disputes.
Pursued claims on behalf of shareholders related to the formation and subsequent breach of equity agreements.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Commercial Litigation (2023)
- Tampa Magazine - Top Lawyers 2018 - Professional Malpractice Law: Defendants
- Tampa Bay Business Journal - Up & Comers (2014)
- Florida Super Lawyers - Rising Stars (2014-2019)
- Victor O. Wehle Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Paul Barnard Award for Clinic Excellence
- United States Army Achievement Medal
- United States Army Commendation Medal
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Committee)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Moderator, “NextGen Privacy: Going Beyond PHI and PII”, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Annual Section Conference (April 27, 2022).
- Presenter, “Cybersecurity Law Webinar: Reasonable measures to protect data… but what does that mean?” (ISC)² Tampa Bay Chapter (October 30, 2021).
- Panelist, "What Happens After You Give Your Client’s iPhone to a Forensic Investigator?" Federal Bar Association 2021 Annual Meeting and Convention (September 24, 2021).
- Presenter, "Welcome to the Cyber-Age: New Territory for Insurance Professionals," Florida Association of Insurance Agents Convention 2021 (June 17, 2021).
- Panelist, "The Legal and Personal Financial Risks of Cyber Breaches," Workers' Compensation Institute Cybersecurity Forum 2020 (September 16, 2020).
- Panelist, "Managing Risk at the Intersection of Cybersecurity, Data Privacy and Business," American Bar Association's Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Conference (March 6, 2020).
- Panelist, “Issues in Cyber Coverages for Law Firms and Their Clients Alike,” American Bar Association, TIPS Section Conference (May 1, 2019).
- Presenter, "Living in the Cyber-Age: Hackers, Computer Fraud Insurance, and Litigation," Florida Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting (September 15, 2018).
- Panelist, “The Changing Landscape of Professional Liability," Association for Corporate Growth Tampa (May 2, 2018).
- "Retail and Consumer Products," A Practical Guide to Cyber Insurance for Businesses 429, (Lauren D Godfrey et al. eds, ABA Book Publishing 2022)
- "What to Know About Florida’s Telephone Solicitation Act" Powerhouse Points - A Quarterly Litigation Update, Fall 2021
- "Client Alert: What to Know About Florida’s Telephone Solicitation Act," Freeborn & Peters LLP (October, 2021).
- "Paper Discovery is Dead (Or Soon To Be)," Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine (May, 2021).
- "Think About Digital Forensics When You Conduct E-Discovery," Today's General Counsel (December 27, 2020).
- "Client Alert: Five Cyber Issues Companies Should Consider in the Midst of COVID-19," Freeborn & Peters LLP (March 23, 2020).
- "Client Alert: Florida Consumer Data Privacy Act: A law that recognizes privacy rights in the information age," Freeborn & Peters LLP (January 23, 2020).
- "Blockchain 101: A Lawyer’s (Brief) Guide," TortSource (Spring 2019).
- "Fla. Lawmakers Propose New Law to Address Companies’ Increasing Use of Biometrics," Daily Business Review (April 1, 2019).
- "What Makes A Cyber Data Breach So Expensive?," Corporate Compliance Insights, (December 18, 2018).
- "Virtual Reality Goes on Trial," Communications of the ACM, (November 29, 2018).
- "‘Privacy’ Doesn’t Equal ‘Security’: The Importance of Knowing the Difference," Corporate Compliance Insights, (November 21, 2018).
- "Professional Liability in Information Technology," IT Business Net, (October 11, 2018).
- "Computer fraud insurance in the cyberage," Thomson Reuters Westlaw Journal Insurance, (July 13, 2018).
- "Cyberclaims and litigation against insurance professionals," Thomson Reuters Westlaw Journal Insurance Coverage, (March 2, 2018).
- "Odd Laws Governing the Military," Hillsborough County Bar Association Lawyer Magazine, (August 2015).