Stephen Benson is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group and a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group focusing on the litigation of disputes involving patented technology. When issues of critical business importance are at stake, the biggest names in pharmaceutical, health care, cosmetic and consumer personal care technology industries rely on Stephen, an experienced litigator of complex disputes, to fight for them both in and out of court.
With a background in microbiology and physics and more than a decade of experience helping clients with legal issues critical to their businesses, Stephen helps juries and judges understand complex issues and carefully guides the presentation of evidence to illustrate the strength of his client’s case. Stephen’s experience and skill in oral advocacy is a critical component in each client’s ability to communicate the value and distinctiveness of the IP protecting their business. He directs and cross-examines fact and expert witnesses to paint a picture for juries, judges and appellate courts so they can understand the key issues at stake and obtain the results his clients need. Stephen relies on the same knowledge and experience to assist clients with issues outside the court room.
Outside the courtroom, Stephen works closely with clients to gain a better understanding of their respective businesses so as to efficiently address legal issues touching on all aspects of their business and to help them achieve their commercial goals.
Stephen’s academic and professional experiences are a core part of the insight he offers clients in disputes involving patents, regulatory requirements, marketing/advertising and consumer protection laws. Stephen studied microbiology and physics at the University of Michigan, winning research grants for the study bacterial pathogenicity factors of Haemophilus influenzae. In addition, Stephen conducted research in the field of learning and memory as a neurobiology graduate and won awards in the study of contracts and the law of the European Union while a law student. In his professional career, he has favorably resolved high value and critically important disputes for his clients, guiding them to further business success outside the courtroom. He has been commended by clients, colleagues and judges for his professionalism and client focused approach.
Prior to joining Freeborn, Stephen was a Partner at Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Patent Law, 2021
- IAM Patent 1000, Patent Litigation, 2017
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Speaker, "Assessing the True Measure of Damages in At-Risk Launch Scenario," Paragraph IV Disputes Conference, New York, New York, (April 27–28, 2015).
- Presenter, "Avoiding or Triggering Forfeiture Events in Hatch-Waxman Litigation Involving Multiple ANDA Filers," The Second Paragraph IV Litigation Strategy Congress, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, (October 29–30, 2014).
- Speaker, 2014 Quarterly Biologics Update Webinar (April 24, 2014).
- Speaker, "Understanding the Biosimilar Landscape: Addressing Emerging Regulatory and Legal Issues ," IP Counsel Exchange for Biosimilar Applicants & Sponsors, New York, New York (January 23–24, 2014).
- Co-author, Indefiniteness Guidance in Advance of Nautilus Decision, Law360 (May 8, 2014)