Ted Brenner is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group with an emphasis on insurance matters.
Over his more than 40 year career, Ted has served as trial and appellate counsel in hundreds of civil matters in state and federal courts representing individuals and business entities. He has litigated almost every type of case ranging from a single claim arising from a single event, to many thousands of claims of injury and damage worldwide resulting from the use of allegedly dangerous products. His current areas of focus include insurance coverage disputes (he has authored over 500 opinions on coverage issues under many types of insurance policies), litigation of claims against insurers, brokers and agents, bad faith litigation and fraud investigations.
Ted is regularly asked to coordinate and manage complex litigation arising from weather catastrophes and product liability claims. Ted has extensive experience advising and representing clients in complex civil actions including multi-claimant litigation, class action litigation and multi-district litigation.
In addition, Ted is regularly asked to serve as a mediator or arbitrator in order to assist parties in resolving disputes involving a wide variety of issues.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- "AV® Preeminent™" under the Martindale-Hubbell® Rating System - highest recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Insurance Law, 2010 - present
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Lawyer of the Year - Insurance Law (Richmond, VA), 2012, 2017, 2019
- Virginia Super Lawyers - 2019 - Insurance Coverage, Civil Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution (cited in multiple years)
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Richmond Bar Association (Member, Board of Directors, 1991-1995; Chairman, Judiciary Committee, 1990-1992)
- Virginia State Bar Association (Chairman, Third District Disciplinary Committee, 1988; Member, Medical Malpractice Review Board, 1992)
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Faculty Member, Virginia State Bar Harry Carrico Professionalism Course (2009-2011)
- Faculty Member, Virginia State Bar Law School Professionalism Course (2011 - present)