Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.
Troy is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group and a member of the Emerging Industries Team. He counsels clients on intellectual property issues with a focus on strategic patent procurement, intellectual property enforcement and defense, and intellectual property portfolio management. He has developed patent portfolios, including domestic and foreign patents, for small and large companies, provided patent opinions, and provided litigation analysis. He also works to manage risks posted by third party patent rights, including the use of post-grant proceedings, opinions, freedom to operate analysis, and third party pre-issuance submissions.
Troy has extensive experience in computer software and engineering. Prior to becoming an attorney, he worked as a senior software engineer for companies such as Motorola, Shoptalk, and CaseKnowledge. His technical skills include telecommunications, networking protocols, storage systems, computer software and hardware, computer memory, medical devices, and semiconductors.
Prior to joining Freeborn, Troy served as Patent Counsel at Schwegman Lundberg & Woessner, P.A. and Senior Counsel at Foley & Lardner LLP.
- Member, PTAB Bar Association
- Co-Author, "Supreme Court Bypasses Opportunity to Clarify Patent Eligibility under 35 U.S.C. § 101," Powerhouse Points - A Quarterly Litigation Update, Summer 2022
- Co-Author, "You Don’t Know What You’ve Got Until It’s Gone: Helping Your Clients Protect Their Intellectual Property Assets," Powerhouse Points - A Quarterly Litigation Update, Winter 2021
- Transitional Program for Covered Business Method. In America Invents Acts: Law & Analysis. Wolters Kluwer, 2014.
- “Determining the Plausibility of Answers to Questions.” American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) 2005 National Conference – AAAI 2005 Inference for Textual Question Answering Workshop.