Assist attorneys with a variety of tasks from discovery through trial/arbitration, using the Firm’s established best practices and adhering to all federal, state and local court rules, procedures and deadlines. Is an integral team member deeply involved in preparation for and support during case assessment and trial.
- Work together with client and Litigation Support Department to ensure discovery is completed in accordance with rules governing e-discovery, Requests for Production of Documents, Requests for Admissions, Responses to Subpoenas and Interrogatory Responses
- Act as a liaison between Litigation Technology Department and attorneys
- Draft discovery requests and responses such as: Subpoenas, Interrogatories, Document Requests, Notices of Taking Deposition, Notices of Compliance, Admissions, etc.
- Review production for key documents, privilege materials, and responsiveness
- Extract, code and summarize factual information from documents produced to create knowledge base
- Create chronologies and/or timelines of key events, and medical treatment of claimants
- Locate factual and conflicting testimony and create deposition and witness preparation kits
- Coordinate witnesses/court reporters/videographers and negotiate best prices with vendors
- Perform internet research to locate witnesses or relevant information
- Research expert witnesses’ prior cases and testimony; assist with preparation of expert witness disclosures and expert discovery requests and deposition preparation
- Perform factual cite checking and prepare exhibits for legal briefs and motions
- Occasionally research areas of law regarding issues relevant to the case
- Perform asset searches and conduct other open source research on parties and interested individuals including criminal records, court filings, car registrations, social media posts, etc.
- Research SEC, real property, and other publicly filed documents regarding parties involved in the litigation
- Assist with the preparation of reports and status updates as required by our clients
- Prepare materials for use at hearings, including case law and exhibits
- Design and work with outside vendors to create demonstrative trial exhibits
- Prepare for pre-trial conferences and trial
- Run Hot Seat during arbitrations
- Occasionally organize and supervise Shadow Jury projects
- Formulate logistical plans for out of town trials
- Assist with Appellate filings, prepare the Record on Appeal, and prepare exhibits for Bill of Costs
- A BA/BS is required; paralegal certificate a plus
- Must have at least 5+ years of complex litigation experience in a law firm environment, with trial or arbitration experience
- Understanding of non-competition and trade secret claims preferred
- Working knowledge of Relativity and ECF procedures required
- The ideal litigation paralegal will be well organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task, technologically proficient, and able to remain professional and friendly under deadline oriented and stressful situations.
- Candidates must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be proactive, discreet, flexible, and have the ability to exhibit good judgment and problem solving skills.
Freeborn & Peters LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants who will contribute to the diversity of our practice and our Firm. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, disability, veteran or military status, or any other status or class protected under federal, state or local law.
Freeborn & Peters LLP
311 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606