When disputes arise, clients turn to us because we have dozens of trial-ready attorneys capable of trying cases in courtrooms across the nation. We recognize, however, that the ultimate resolution of hard-fought litigation often depends upon winning the appeal. With an Appellate Law Practice Group equipped to handle these matters quickly, efficiently and effectively, our clients stay with us through the final resolution.
Our attorneys are members of the bars of the U.S. Supreme Court and every U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and include several former clerks to federal and state appellate judges.
With our broad appellate experience, we work with clients to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of potential appeals, identify the critical issues, and efficiently craft clear and persuasive briefs to maximize the likelihood of success. We understand what it takes to prevail on appeal -- exemplary writing, persuasive oral arguments, and mastery of the record and appellate rules. Our focus is on working hand-in-hand with trial
counsel to present the case in the most powerful way possible.
We have won key, precedent-setting appeals in a broad range of matters, including:
- Successfully defended Seventh Circuit appeal of judgment for defendants in nationwide antitrust class action alleging price fixing in the sulfuric acid industry.
- Successful appeal of a multi-million dollar shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit raising complex issues regarding buy-sell agreements and the permissible measure of damages. The appeal ultimately made its way to the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
- Prevailed in an appeal before the South Dakota Supreme Court on issues covering the measure of damages in a breach of fiduciary lawsuit as well as issues regarding claim preclusion, issue preclusion, and the proper purchase price of stock under a buy-sell agreement.
- Successful appeal to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals of an adverse jury verdict in an antitrust lawsuit.
- Successfully defended appeal of $40 million judgment in client's favor against local governmental entity for violating client's easement rights and delaying construction of a real estate project on Michigan Avenue.
- Obtained certiorari from the U.S. Supreme Court in a criminal matter, leading to a summary reversal of the court of appeals' ruling against the client.
- Successful appeal of a judgment against client in antitrust case. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed without remand an adverse judgment in the district court.
- On behalf of a wireless broadcasting client, secured from the D.C. Circuit the reversal of an injunction entered at the request of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Partner and General Counsel