Our national construction law practice is involved in every facet of the construction process, from real estate acquisition and project financing, through drafting of contract documents and project administration, to claim preparation, litigation and dispute resolution. We have been involved in many projects that taken together, could easily constitute a large city.
Our construction practice has a diverse clientele including:
- Public and Private Owners
- General Contractors
- Design Professionals
- Specialty Contractors
Our experience includes serving as counsel with some of the country’s largest construction projects, including the Trump Tower in Chicago, the expansion of McCormick Place, Cleveland Browns Stadium, the University of Michigan Hospital, Boston’s “Big Dig”, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and State Farm’s National Headquarters.
For years, we have played a significant role in the construction industry providing content and opinions that have helped shaped its development. Among other associations, we are actively involved the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys, Construction Financial Management Association and the Federation of Women Contractors.
As needed, we work with other areas of our firm to assist clients including of real estate, corporate, finance, tax, bankruptcy, labor/employment and environmental law.
From simple dispute negotiations to more complex construction arbitrations, mediations and lawsuits, we work with clients on a range of issues. Our experience includes the prosecution and defense of claims alleging delay, defective design, acceleration claims, defective construction, breach of warranty, mechanics liens, fraud, breach of contract and other construction-related claims.
We are experienced litigating before the American Arbitration Association Construction as well as in federal and state courts.
We provide dispute resolution in several real estate-related areas, including:
- Easements -- We assist clients in negotiating and resolving disputes with public utilities, municipal authorities and private parties with respect to a range of easements, access and other issues.
- Foreclosures -- We represent lenders—including banks, savings and loans, and other creditors—and owners in disputes related to the real estate assets of distressed business.
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes -- We represent parties on both sides of the table in enforcing and ensuring compliance with landlord/tenant agreements, including leases, injunctions, forcible entry and detainer actions.
- Contract Enforcement -- We provide guidance to clients in the full range of real estate contract disputes, including purchase and sales agreements, bids and leases.
- Investment Disputes -- Our attorneys assist clients, ranging from individual investors to investment companies and REITs, in resolving claims related to all forms of real estate financing and investments, such as conventional term and construction mortgage financing, participating and shared appreciation mortgages, sales and lease-backs, split term and residual interests, mezzanine financing, and multi-tiered equity structures.
- Ownership Entities -- We assist individuals and entities involved in joint ventures, partnerships and limited liability companies, to quickly and effectively resolve conflicts arising from breaches of agreements and contracts, including providing assistance with exit strategies and dissolution of partnerships.
We represent financially distressed debtors and their creditors, as well as opportunistic acquirers and investors, in financial workouts, restructurings, acquisitions and dispositions of distressed real estate. We also provide related expertise on tax planning for distressed properties, land use and zoning issues, and leasing.
We represent receivers and trustees in cases involving properties, companies, assets and estates varying from hundreds of thousands to hundreds of millions of dollars.
Our engagements have included enforcement cases brought by government agencies such as the Illinois Secretary of State, Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission, Commodities Futures Trading Commission and Securities and Exchange Commission involving. We also represent real estate limited partnerships, mining, numismatics, cellular telephone licenses, health maintenance organizations, money order companies, escrow companies, telephone companies, mortgage companies, finance companies, and personal property brokers; partnership and corporate disputes and dissolutions including law firm dissolutions and manufacturers; rents, issues and profits receiverships involving ongoing businesses, apartment buildings and office buildings.
These services include litigation and counsel involving:
- Lien Placement and Enforcement
- Negotiation of Bond Sums
- Disclosure of Pertinent Relationships or Conflicts
- Court-Approved Sales of Real and Personal Property
- Public Auctions
- Fee Approval
- Defense of Claims and Lawsuits
- Property Management Issues
- Representation in Audits
- Assistance with Inventory and Accountings
- Fiduciary Obligations