Freeborn & Peters LLP is pleased to announce that 16 of the Firm’s attorneys have been named 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers, which recognizes the leading attorneys in the state. In addition, 10 Freeborn attorneys earned the distinction of 2014 Illinois Rising Stars, the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys.
“We congratulate our attorneys whose successes and accomplishments have earned them recognition from their clients and peers as among the leading Illinois lawyers for 2014,” said Michael A. Moynihan, co-managing partner of Freeborn & Peters.
The Firm’s attorneys – and their practice areas – included on the 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers list are:
- Roger H. Bickel (Government Relations) – a partner in and chairman of the Government and Regulatory Law Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in the areas of government relations and regulatory law, litigation and dispute resolution, lobbying and corporate representation, and procurement advocacy. He has more than two decades of experience in representing a wide array of clients in complex regulatory law matters and commercial litigation.
- Mitchell A. Carrel (Land Use/Zoning) – a partner in the Real Estate Practice Group. He focuses his practice on representing public and private companies, land owners, developers and investors. He helps his clients secure land use and zoning approvals, public incentives, and local regulatory and siting approvals. He also performs zoning due diligence.
- Jeffery M. Cross (Antitrust Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group. He represents a variety of corporations and businesses on antitrust, securities fraud, contract, real estate, environmental regulations, libel and slander, false advertising, commercial code, and trade regulation issues and also has experience in distribution and franchise law as well as mergers and acquisitions.
- Kellye L. Fabian (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group. She focuses her practice on all aspects of complex litigation including securities litigation, accountant and auditor malpractice, bankruptcy litigation, partnership and joint venture disputes, breach of contract cases, toxic tort and class action defense.
- Joseph L. Fogel (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group and leader of the Intellectual Property Litigation Team. He has extensive experience litigating a multitude of complex business and commercial disputes in state and federal courts and arbitral forums around the country.
- Andrew L. Goldstein (Intellectual Property) – a partner in the Corporate Practice Group. He focuses his practice in the areas of intellectual property, information technology, advertising and promotion law, and media and entertainment law, including video production, theater and dance-related matters.
- Mark R. Goodman (Business/Corporate) – a partner in the Corporate Practice Group. He focuses his practice on advising the insurance industry on corporate, regulatory and transactional matters. He has represented a wide range of clients – including insurance holding companies, insurers, producers, agents and brokers, and managing general agents – in complex, high-profile cases. He also advises non-traditional sellers of insurance on insurance programs.
- James S. Gray (Real Estate) – a partner in the Real Estate Practice Group. His practice covers a broad range of real estate and financing transactions on a regional and national basis for lenders, borrowers, developers, landlords, tenants, and managers and clients, including individuals, investment entities, retailers, real estate companies and corporate real estate users.
- David C. Gustman (Business Litigation) – a partner in and head of the Litigation Practice Group and co-leader of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Group. He also is a member and former chairman of the firm’s Executive Committee. He focuses his practice on complex business litigation cases involving antitrust, accounting, banking, bankruptcy, construction, finance, insurance coverage and broker disputes, real estate, and securities.
- Joseph T. McCullough IV (Insurance Coverage) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group and leader of the Insurance/Reinsurance Industry Team. He devotes his practice to counseling insurance and reinsurance companies as well as representing insurers and reinsurers in arbitration, litigation and mediation.
- Catherine A. Miller (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group. She represents individual and corporate clients in a wide variety of state and federal commercial matters, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, mergers and acquisitions disputes, labor and employment disputes, the False Claims Act, insurance coverage, and real estate litigation.
- Dov J. Pinchot (Real Estate) – a partner in and co-head of the Real Estate Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial leasing, corporate real estate, and property acquisition and sales and has represented many leading businesses in major real estate transactions throughout the United States.
- Edward H. Rice (Intellectual Property Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group. He focuses his practice primarily on patent cases and other technology disputes. He has handled a wide range of patented technologies, from integrated circuits to pharmaceuticals and from Internet business methods to antimissile systems. He also has successfully represented clients on trademark and copyright matters.
- Adam C. Toosley (Construction Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group. He has extensive experience in handling disputes including those based on mechanic's liens, commercial mortgage foreclosure, construction defects and contracts, warranty law, the Uniform Commercial Code, fraud and business torts, deceptive business practices, and trust and estate-related improprieties, among others.
- Eileen B. Trost (Estate Planning & Probate) – a partner in the Corporate Practice Group who focuses her practice in estate planning, trust and estate administration, and related income tax issues. She has extensive experience in all aspects of estate, gift, generation-skipping and income tax planning for trusts and estates.
- Eugene F. Zelek, Jr. (Antitrust Litigation) – a partner in the Corporate and Litigation Practice Groups and co-leader of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Group. He focuses his practice on marketing-related law with areas of emphasis that include antitrust, pricing and distribution as well as branding, licensing, intellectual property, entertainment, strategic alliances, supply relationships, complex contracts, advertising and new product development.
The Firm’s attorneys – and their practice areas – included on the 2014 Illinois Rising Stars list are:
- Rachel Atterberry (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group who focuses her practice on employment and general commercial litigation.
- Ashley W. Brandt (Construction Litigation) – an associate in the Real Estate Practice Group who concentrates his practice in the construction and food & beverage sectors.
- Matthew R. Campobasso (Business Litigation) – an associate in the Litigation Practice Group who focuses his practice on all aspects of complex litigation.
- Gia F. Colunga (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group whose areas of focus include litigation relating to breach of contract, franchising, trade secrets, restrictive covenants and other employment matters.
- Devon J. Eggert (Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights) – a partner in the Bankruptcy, Reorganization and Creditors’ Rights Practice Group. His practice covers all aspects of complex Chapter 11 cases.
- John C. Hammerlee (General Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group. His experience includes a wide array of state and federal commercial matters as well as prosecution of temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunction cases.
- Richard T. Kienzler (Business Litigation) – an associate in the Litigation Practice Group who focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation.
- Jacob D. Koering (Intellectual Property Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group and a member of its Intellectual Property Team. He focuses on helping to develop, implement, monetize and protect companies’ intellectual property portfolios.
- Matthew J. Kramer (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group who focuses his practice on complex commercial disputes.
- Verona M. Sandberg (Business Litigation) – a partner in the Litigation Practice Group who has experience with cases concerning antitrust, class action, breach of contract, employment disputes and other complex litigation.
Only the top 5 percent of all attorneys in Illinois are named each year as Super Lawyers. They are selected through peer nominations and evaluations along with third-party research. The selection process is the same for Rising Stars with the exception of peer evaluations. Rising Stars must be 40 years old or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or fewer. No more than 2.5 percent of all Illinois lawyers are named to the Rising Stars list. Attorneys cannot buy their way onto the lists.
The Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars were featured in the 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers magazine and the February 2014 issue of Chicago magazine.
A full press release is attached.